Chapter 2

"So, the Little Mouse has been sent away?"

"Yes, this morning."

Viper leans back, slurps her coffee while she stares at the communication device in front of her. She puts down her cup, then asks another question.

"Naoji Group doesn't have a pretty good reputation about this."

"I know."

"The Riftwalker accompanies her? They aren't on good terms."

Brimstone flashbacks to what he had witnessed this morning. Indeed, they are not close, but they aren't in a very bad term either. Yoru isn't someone who mixes work matters with personal feelings.

"I trust them."

Viper can feel a father-figure vibe through the screen. I trust you as well, Viper lets out a soft sigh.

"Why don't we just steal the rare element? Yoru had obtained a new ability to carry a solid item with him into the rift since last mission."

"Who do you think will be their first suspect?"

"They don't have any proof."

To think of it, everything Viper said does make sense. But Brimstone's main plan is to let Killjoy learn more things as she works with them. Can be many things, such as their tech, resources management, relation, and more.

And there is another plan as well.

"Well," Viper flips the papers in her hand. "As what Killjoy has reported to me a few days ago, combined with my recent research. This element is quite similar to radiant energy, but it isn't it. I suspect it has a dangerous effect on radiants."

---

"Verdammt, where exactly are we?"

Killjoy grumbles as she observes the environment around her. She and Yoru wear their casual clothes, with Killjoy's piles of luggage, in the middle of a wide empty field surrounded by forest.

"We just dropped a few seconds ago, and you already started complaining."

"Are you sure we are not lost?"

"You're doubting me now?"

The genius engineer couldn't respond to the riftwalker's words. She was about to sit on top of one big piece of luggage of hers, but suddenly she can feel a familiar cold weak aura start touching her skin. It was Yoru, rips open his rift.

"Wait, you're not leaving me behind, right?"

The rift walker does not respond at all. He just grabs Killjoy's belongings with his left hand while his right-hand keep the rift open. Quick and silent, the rift walker puts all of the luggage into his dimension.

"Wait- WHAT? YOU CAN DO THAT?!"

Yoru frowns as he hears Killjoy's yelling. "Well-"

"DOES IT HAS THE SAME CONCEPT AS CHAMBER? IS IT POSSIBLE IF SOMEONE ELSE GOES INTO THAT? THIS GONNA BE A HUGE ADVANTAGE FOR OUR MISSIONS IN THE FUTURE!!?"

"Ugh."

Yoru shuts Killjoy's mouth with his right hand after he closed the rift. He clearly doesn't want Killjoy's crazy ideas to be applied to him.

"Hmph-" Killjoy paused, she noticed Yoru's hand feels cold, still has some faint glowing scars, and a bit trembling. Yoru realized that she noticed it, and quickly removes his hand.

"You're still not used to it?" Killjoy spoke as soon as her mouth was free. "Does it hurt-"

"Just shut up and start walking your ass off."

The brown midi-dressed girl had no choice but to follow the man with a black turtleneck shirt in front of her.

They both walked through a small path in the middle of the lush trees. The wind is cool, blowing gently, and there is a distinct aroma of the forest. Killjoy can hear the chirping of birds whistling between the branches of the trees. Killjoy began to hear the sound of the river running not far from where they had first started walking.

"We're here."

The genius engineer lets out a sigh of relief as she hears Yoru's word. Whew! I thought we still need to walk some miles away. She starts throwing her glare around her.

It was such a beautiful view. There's a sight-catching small waterfall that comes through a high rocky hill, there are even some flowers by the river.

But...

I can't find... the house?

"I told you, it's hidden," Yoru spoke as if he heard what Killjoy thought in her mind. He walks closer into the hill rock, puts his palm into the wall, and concentrates as he closes his eyes.

The genius engineer couldn't hold her gasp. Yoru just rips the rock wall. Something else had amazed Killjoy more than that, and it is the fact that there is a hidden cave behind the rock wall.

"Come." Yoru turns back and finds out Killjoy is still standing, with her gasped mouth and wide eyes.

Sigh.

Yoru approaches and grabs her arms. Killjoy is still dazed while being dragged by the rift walker. A few steps after, she can witness the view inside the cave.

Killjoy's eyes are amazed by Yoru's Minka, a Japanese-styled house, not too big nor too small. On top of the cave, sunlight sneaks inside the cave through a hole in the cave's roof. Surprisingly, it is quite wide inside that they might hide a plane inside. As they were already inside, the rock wall behind them began to close.

"You're-" Killjoy couldn't hide her admiration. "You're not only a strong and skilled radiant but also have such good taste."

"... shut up." Yoru turns his face away. "Of course I am."

The genius engineer completely ignores the rift walker's reaction, as she continues admiring the view in front of her eyes. They come into the house, it has tatami mat flooring, sliding doors, and wooden engawa verandas that radiate the traditional Japanese houses' vibes. They arrived in front of a room that seems wide as a living room. Yoru slides open a door and gets in.

"Here is your room," Yoru points at them. "I don't know if you're gonna hate living here for a few weeks forward-"

"This is magnificent!"

"But aren't you a city-kid spent her entire life in a-"

"No, this is something exciting I never thought I'd actually experience!" Killjoy didn't speak a single lie. "And I'm glad that I'll be staying here with a good person."

"H-huh?"

"I mean-" Killjoys hesitates. "You've been holding my hand as if I could be lost somewhere."

Yoru immediately let go of Killjoy's hands. I swear I was grabbing her arm, not holding her hands? He turns away. Yoru opens his rift and puts out Killjoy's items of luggage, then he paused as he realized something.

"Wait- that means you thought I was a bad person-"

"YE- I MEAN NO I DID NOT-"

"Alright enough talking NOW MAKE UP YOUR ROOM AND STUFF!"