Chapter 1

"You'll be sent to a mission in Japan soon."

"Eh?"

The genius engineer couldn't believe what she had heard just now. Brimstone can tell from Killjoy's eyes that she is excited.

"I will be the one in charge?! For the rare earth element research??! ME??? OMG-"

"I was about to send Viper but she's in another mi-"

The VP leader didn't finish his words as he realizes the German agent no longer paying attention to him, being overfolded by excitement. The genius engineer drowns into the plans in her head and keeps mumbling as Brimstone adds another news.

"One radiant agent will accompany you. He will guard you for the next couple of weeks."

Oh?

Killjoy went down into her thoughts once again. Brim said 'he'. It can't be Omen, he's currently on the mission with Viper. There's no way it's Phoenix, what the hell. Then-

"The rift-boy?" Killjoy said abruptly. "But he has been away for almost 2 months?"

"He has finished his mission just yesterday," Brim hands Killjoy the report paper. "He's currently still in Japan, he will pick you up in 2 days. You will stay at his place for your safety too."

Woah, so he has a house? Killjoy flips the papers as she frowns.

"I thought he hates me." Killjoy pouts. "He hates science-related stuff."

"He had experience in this kind of job and is Japanese. Despite his personality, he's the most capable one. Or do you want me to ask Phoenix-"

"NO, THANK YOU."

---

"Hah. Look at that piled-up pieces of stuff."

Killjoy paused as she heard the Riftwalker's flat-toned commentary. Scheiße, he actually does hate me. She continues struggling to carry up her tools.

"You look like you're going to move out."

"If you're not going to help, just-"

Killjoy didn't get to finish her words as Yoru robs away the luggage on her hands. He walks quickly into the jet not far away from them, hands it into the crews, then walks back to the genius engineer in just a few seconds.

"You could've just asked them to help out with your stuff." Yoru lends his hand, asking for the other Killjoy's luggage for him to carry.

Brimstone watches them from inside the building. A few minutes later, the jet start flying up and sped up until its unseen.

Killjoy and Yoru sit in a room, alone. The Riftwalker can feel the nervousness from the girl whose safety will completely be in his hands for a few weeks forward. Is she scared of me? He turns his glare to the engineering tools behind Killjoy's seat, and the engineer can feel the stare of dislike Yoru gave while he observes her stuff.

"The place we'll stay at is hidden," Yoru breaks the silence. "Not even our crews know where it is. Only us."

"Why don't we stay somewhere everyone else's at?"

"Brim asked for it personally to me. Seems like he doesn't trust the people we're working with yet."

The Naoji group. Them and the VP currently establishing a cooperative relationship. They're known for their high-advanced tech and science. But somehow, they're very closed, they don't have many relations with other groups.

Killjoy leans back in her seat. She lets out a small sigh.

Will I be safe with him?