xxxiii. | witch hunt

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

PIETY HEADED OUT of the church when she heard Hannah Miller's screams to stop. She watched as Sarah headed for the forest, balling her fists up, her knuckles turning a ghostly pale white. They were supposed to have caught Sarah with Hannah. Some of them should've gone after Sarah while they checked the pastor's daughters for the Mark of the Devil. She prayed that the Father's Sword would give Sarah the most swiftest blow for justice, for what she has done to have sinned as badly as she has sinned.

Kenelm walked up beside Piety. "Sarah is gone. . . now do you want to bring her a swift death from the almighty himself?"

Piety looked over to him. "I do."

He smiled.

Dragged back to the church, Hannah Miller was droning back and forth between consciousness and unconsciousness. Her hair was undone and clothes were ripped apart, revealing the mark on her shoulder from the Devil himself from all of the fighting she did to not allow herself to be ruined from the witchcraft she performed and her womanhood stripped away. Even if Piety did it to kill Sarah and Hannah for what they did to Reason, it seemed she actually caught some witches. God was on Piety's side.

Everyone gathered around the entrance to the church where Elijah was giving a speech. Piety held Kenelm's hand tightly for the events of tonight would be crazy.

"As sure as the sun rises, we will purge Union of this. . ." Elijah reached out and picked Hannah up by her arm. He shook her as she continued, ". . . wretched pollution!" he threw her to the ground. "We will search every house, every inch of wood! We will not rest and we will not have mercy!"

Everyone shouted, "NO MERCY!"

Elijah continued. "So help me, God, we will be cleansed of these anathemas!"

"YEAH!" people cheered.

"We will have our justice!"

"YEAH!"

"We will find Sarah Fier!"

"FIND HER!"

"And. . . we shall find Reason Hancock!"

"FIND HER!"

Piety looked around and saw the anger on people's faces. They were angry for these witches committing sins and playing curses on the town. They were going to find and hang the remaining witches. Piety would have to thank them all for this.

Kenelm led Piety to his house. He looked around every few seconds to be sure they weren't being followed and that they were doing just fine sneaking off to his home instead of searching for Sarah Fier and Reason Hancock. He opened his door and allowed her to step inside, before he quickly closed it shut tight.