Coffee

Wes finished filling out papers and grabbed his wallet. He slid it into his back pocket and rushed out the front door of the building. He got into his car and stared at the company logo as he pulled out. The red, yellow, and blue clovers in the logo and the sleek, uniform letters in the word Syntec. 

He pulled up o the coffee shop. In a fancy font, "Honey Coffee" was written with a bee next to it. He smiled from the quaint vibe emanating from it. Deb was standing outside in a Black t-shirt and blue jeans. She looked around frantically. Wes hesitated to get out of the car. Was she planning on doing something to him? He shook his head and got out of the car. He walked nervously across the parking lot.

"Wes! You're finally here," Deb greeted. Her finger tapped her purse.

"Yeah. I had a lot of paperwork due," Wes mumbled. 

"Let's go in." 

Deb walked in. Ding ding. A worker turned to them and waved. "Welcome to Honey Coffee!"

Deb walked up and stood beside the line. She looked at the menu items carefully while Wes's mind spun like a top. Maybe she wasn't to kill him. 

"Oh, Wes, what would you like?" Deb asked.

Wes shook his head and looked up at the menu. He saw a tasty-looking iced latte called the Honey Special. He looked around once more to see a Honey-Glazed donut. A lot of sugar, but he needed it. "That.. and that." He pointed out the latte and donut. 

Deb laughed. "I was going to get a donut too. I wasn't too sure about the sugar. Would you like to just split one?" 

"Oh, sure," Wes smiled. He thought of those cheesy romance books where the couples split food.

Deb walked into line, towing Wes close behind. After some time, they got to the front.

"I-" Wes began.

"We'll have the Honey Special, the decaf Honey Latte, and the Honey-Glazed Donut," Deb said.

Wes's heart fluttered. He loved it when Deb took charge. She was so confident. 

"That'll be $13.99,"  the cashier said.

Wes got out his wallet and flipped through. 

"Here." Deb handed the cashier the money. She looked over to Wes who fumbled to put his wallet back into his pocket. "Let's go sit."

She led Wes over to a small, two-person table in the corner of the coffee shop. They had a bit of small talk before their drinks came. Wes took one sip and choked on the sweetness of the drink.

"Jeez, that is sweet," he coughed.

"Are you ok Wes?" Deb asked.

"It was just a shock," Wes replied. Deb took a sip of hers and winced. Wes laughed.

"God, your right. There's a lot of honey. Hey! Stop laughing!" 

Wes broke out into an even bigger laugh. Deb blushed a bit and frantically grabbed the donut out of the bag. She split it in half and shoved the smaller half into Wes's mouth.

"Shove it." 

Wes was taken aback by the sweetness of the donut. And the fact Deb just shoved a donut in his mouth. He took a moment to chew and swallow it.

"Yuck," he spat. Deb took a bite too and hummed.

"That was kinda good." Deb looked at Wes's disgusted face. "Honey isn't your thing, is it?"

"Nope." Wes took a scowling sip of his drink.

"Oh, would you look at the time? We have to hurry back to work before Nelson flips," Deb said. She got up and walked out.

Wes sat for a good second, absorbing the lunch. Deb was a good person. She really was. But the timeline he saw, the one where Deb killed him. What happened? What drove Deb to do that?