CHAPTER 1 Departure

It's been 6 years. Six long years that she has been wearing the 24 k gold ring he gave her six years ago. It's still good as new. But what's the use if the one who gave it in the first place didn't fulfill his promise.

"Lia! Let's eat!" Her mother, beads of sweat on forehead, apron hanging smoothly on waist, called her from the kitchen.

Lia remove her sight to her ring and stood up, went to the kitchen and sit down right next to her mother. Looking at the kitchen table, she already notice their food. She quickly glanced at her mom.

"There's too much food you cooked, Mom. Are we expecting someone?" She asked and grabbed a spoon and started eating.

Her mom, despite being old by age still look young and healthy, shook her head. "I'm off to Baguio for 3 days and I know, when I'm away, even if you know how to cook, you won't cook for yourself. So I cook in advance and you'll just heat it every time you eat. Am I understood?"

Lia smiled at her Mom's thoughtfulness. "I love you, Mom. What's with Baguio, though?" She asked.

"There's someone interested with your dad's condo and wanted to take a look. They might buy it but I'm not sure. Are you okay with it?" She asked, clearly worried about what Lia may think.

Lia smiled painfully to the thought that they're gonna let go of another memory of her dad. Their old condo. "I - I don't know. But..." She gulped a glass of juice. She doesn't want to be impolite but she also know why her Mom is doing this.

Her mom sighed. "I think I'll just cancel this -"

"No." Lia interrupted. "I understand, Mom." She smiled. Suddenly her alarm started ringing, sign that she needs to go to school. She picked up her bag and bid good bye to her Mom.

"I'll be off later this afternoon. Take care of yourself while I'm away." Her mother shouted from the kitchen.

Lia froze. Same words. She shook her head many times trying to get rid of the thought and answered her Mom.

"Take care, Mom. I love you."

She heard her mom said likewise when she's already outside. Walking through the sidewalk to the nearest taxi terminal, Lia seemed occupied about her Mom's words of care. Then she realized something.

"What day is it today?" She took her phone with her left hand that has the ring, not on her index finger anymore but on her ring finger, and pressed 'calendar'.

'August 19, 2021'

She sighed. A painful sigh that comes with a stab in her heart which she was carrying since 2015. A pain she thought she'll forget once she's old. But she's a promise-keeper. She never forgets promises. She sighed again, now deeper. Her chest tightening even more and she felt the urge to cry but she doesn't want to go to school with red puffy eyes so she remained calm and started crying mentally instead. If that's even possible.

She took her phone away and put it in her bag but she'll never forget what her calendar said when she looked at it.

'Riri's departure.'

A/N: Let me begin this story with a big hug to those who read all the way here. Thank you so much and vote if you find this chapter worth it. 

Have fun being on the front seat of the 'Lili and Riri' roller coaster ride.