Chapter 9

[Five months earlier]

The tests turned out to be more humiliating and traumatic than Mayeen expected.

After a trip to what looked like a minimalistic infirmary where she was stripped naked by a group of no less than three women and checked for scars or other blemishes, she was escorted to a private bathing area.
Mayeen expected to be left alone; instead, a few more joined the three, following her every move. No sooner did the women finish bathing her than the oldest one of the lot approached Mayeen. Without any warning, she parted her legs and pushed two fingers inside her.

A gasp of shock left Mayeen's lips, and tears threatened to spill. No one she had spoken to had told her about what she was being put through.
Holding her tongue that wanted to shower the rough, rude woman with a shower of curses and holding her arms crossed over her chest, the girl fisted her fingers. The pain she experienced as she dug her nails into her palms anchored her.

As soon as the woman probing Mayeen withdrew her fingers, the girl snapped her legs shut and lowered her eyes. She made the blush of anger coloring her cheeks look like that of shame and embarrassment and waited.

The woman in blue stood up straight. Her eyes gave the girl a once over. Then, nodding approvingly, she spoke with authority lining her every syllable. "This was done to examine whether you were owned or touched. Our master can't be expected to do with hand-me-downs in any form, can he?"  the woman asked rhetorically.

Mayeen shook her head.

"You sure are timid. I like that in a woman. Nice and docile is what our harem needs." The elderly woman took a deep breath and looked over her shoulder, "Tight and intact. Pass."

No sooner did the woman leave than a sheer white loose robe that left almost nothing to the imagination was draped over her petite shoulders, and after instructing her to 'Stay here,' the rest of her escorts exited the chamber.

Apprehension of what lay ahead ate at her resolve as she took in her surroundings: the golden cage she had walked into willingly. She felt a thousand pairs of eyes on her. All of them held judgment and disgust. And out of nowhere, an unexpected wave of nausea hit her.

Before she could command herself to hold it in, she threw up. Wide-eyed and shocked at her doing, she scanned the room, checking for witnesses. Relieved that there were none, she left a breath she didn't know she was holding. However, the relief was short-lived as the doors to the bath swung open, and a woman in gray linens stepped inside, and without a word, began to scrub the floor.

Holding the robe tightly around her, Mayeen stepped towards the lady cleaning her vomit. "I can do it. Please, let me."

The woman paused and glanced at Mayeen.

Familiar brown eyes stared back at her. "Let me do it. Did you get any on you?" She asked, sizing her up.
"Bora?" The gold-rimmed eyes widened, "What are you doing here?"

The girl, Bora, was no stranger to Mayeen; she was one of the twelve girls that had entered the outer hall with her merely days ago.

"Repaying you for saving my life. Listen, you and Kanak were the only ones who made it till here. Whatever you do, don't let them get to you. Swallow your pride and your pain."

"Kanak was here?"

"Yes, but from what I have heard, she didn't make it into the harem." Bora resumed scrubbing the floor and continued, "You will be taken to be branded next. That is the last test. Only if you agree will they deem you worthy of serving the master. The mark is a symbol that you belong to him. Remember my words." Then, with one last look at the door, the girl left.