Chapter 15

Bhallar had not understood his father's words while the latter was explaining the significance of the last platform. He still didn't.

He understood the part about opening his arms and asking to be judged by the sun god. It was the next part that had him confused. 

'Why is the offering needed?' Bhallar thought now, just as he had done as a child.

According to Mayeen, the offering was there because almighty Ra, just like his creation: humans, could feel hunger too.

'Dada, why do you fail to understand such a simple thing? He is busy showering blessings and lighting the world. He needs to stay fit to take care of his subjects and eliminate darkness from the New Kingdom. He needs strength. How else is he going to feed himself?'

Darkness descended upon Bhallar as soon as he entered the womb of the temple. He didn't miss the immediate shift in the temperature as it went from spring-like pleasant to cold.
This was the opposite of what he had expected.

This chamber was supposed to house the healing rays of the sun God along with his seven feet high statue.

'This is not just a statue built in almighty Ra's image, children. It holds part of his soul.'

'How can a soul have parts?'

'That, my dear, I can't tell you yet.'

'I know that I am still too young to hear such things. But Dada is big. He is almost as tall as mama. You can tell him.'

Atmoo hadn't been able to tell his son about souls before passing away. Bhallar wondered if he would have told him if he was as persistent as Mayeen.

'Did someone follow her here as well? Or did Mayeen flee from here already?' Bhallar contemplated when the silence in the womb turned deafening. His heart sank to his knees as doubt of whether he would ever see his sister gripped his heart and made it hard for him to breathe.

Bhallar closed his eyes, held his hands over his head, and prayed, hoping that the sun God could hear those who prayed in this dark, unwelcoming space. "Almighty Ra, please don't let me return empty-handed. I don't know where else to look." he pleaded into the dark, unwelcoming space.

"Dada?"

The single word, spoken so reverently, burned away the darkness seeping into Bhallar's heart.

"Mayeen?" He called in the dark, taking unsure steps towards what he hoped was the source of the voice. "Keep speaking, sister. I will find you." Bhallar instructed, but he might not have as well, for not a moment later, a relieved breath fanned the side of his face and spoke in his ear, "Dada, I knew you would find me," before wrapping him in a tight embrace.

"Mayeen..." Bhallar whispered, elated, holding his sister close and thanking almighty Ra for the kindness he had shown him.

"Dada, I am sorry." The girl apologized in a steady, cold tone, "Please forgive me."

"Why?" The perplexed brother asked, trying to step back, but failed.

"Because there is something I need to do, and it will hurt."

"Mayeen, what is wrong?" Bhallar demanded, trying to keep his voice from wavering, even as he felt the chamber grow colder. "Let me get the light. Let me look at you." Bhallar struggled to break free, but Mayeen's inhuman strength kept him glued to her.

Shortly after, he felt something cold and sharp brush against the nape of his neck before digging into his flesh, ripping a shocked, blood-curdling scream from his lips.