Chapter Four

"Please tell me you liked that as much as I did." Gale says, worry in his voice.

"I liked it even more." I murmur, walking back up to him and connecting our lips once more. This time, Gale took it a step further and placed his hands on my waist. I then wrap my arms around his neck. As I do this, he pulls me even closer. I smile into the kiss, as does he. We soon disconnect our lips once more.

"We should be getting home soon. It's almost sunset." I tell Gale, but he seems to have other ideas. 

"Let's hang out here for a little while longer." He says, smiling down at me. He grabs my hand and sits on the grass, pulling me down with him. 

"Don't volunteer." I whisper softly as I put my face into the crook of his neck. 

"If you do I will." He says as he strokes my hair, the pain and fear in his voice evident. 

"Please don't. Katniss isn't ready to be the head of the family. Not when my mom is mentally checked out and Prim is only twelve. Kat is only sixteen. She doesn't deserve to take that role over right now. She's not ready for that." I tell him, my tone now becoming desperate. 

"You were thirteen when you took over that role. Katniss is more than ready to take that role if she needs to. But you're the strongest person I know, even more so than Katniss. I know you can win." Gale tells me, but I just shake my head. 

"Katniss is too emotionally hardened to become the head of the family. On top of that, I will fight for you until my final moment. If you volunteer, then you'll be the Victor, especially if it comes down to just the two of us." I try to explain, but Gale isn't listening, as he just sighs. 

"What if people just stopped watching?" He thinks aloud. I sigh softly as I look up at his face, which is facing toward the wide open forest. 

"Unfortunately, Gale, that probably won't happen. It'd take a whole uprising to stop the Games." I murmur. He turns his head and looks down at me. 

"Sadly, I think you're right." He mutters. I lean up slightly and give him a peck on the lips, which makes a wide grin break out across his features. 

"So, what are we now?" He asks as he turns back to look into the forest. 

"We're whatever you want us to be." I reply softly, still staring up at him. 

"I think boyfriend and girlfriend has a good ring to it. What do you think?" Gale says after a few moments, turning his head back down to face me. 

"I think it has a great ring to it." I whisper, kissing him on the cheek.