Chapter 4

Stunned, a step backward was made possible by the distance that separated us. The smell of danger was caught by my nostrils with a calming rush of blood in my veins, more acceptable than the man gripping my senses. Two pairs of eyeballs set confused in awareness of the ludicrous standpoint. Wavering trust I embraced; their steps continuously escorted mine with the conviction of entangling something out of the action.

Raising a stiff palm in caution, I exclaimed, "Don't come near me!"

Jaws dropped; they turned their heads to face each other with glances being exchanged. I didn't think of the nonverbal thoughts being shared and I shouldn't when my senses shall be focused on leaving the ground to dismiss the current situation and prevent myself from getting involved when such a thing will be raised in the disciplinary office.

Besides, it was demanded that calling my grandmother once more for this kind of uselessness must be avoided.

"Wala kaming ginagawa. Salamat pala sa pagbayad ng utang namin. Pangako, kapag nakaluwag na ay babayaran ka namin nang buo," the fairer one explained, the only distinction I observed.

"Huwag ka lang magsusumbong kahit kanino, kami na ang bahala sa walang-hiya na 'to!" With a hand raised in the air, an action to be done before its land earned a wince and shudder from the guy who was still on the ground.

The tanned one acquired a feisty attitude and uncontrollable energy including a bad temper. An unfortunate combination of an interlocked sisterhood of balance caused me to wince as well. If it was me, Abuela wouldn't sit back and watch when she could wrap us around her fingers as possible in controlling the scenario, living no such imperfection.

A hand extended to be accepted, the tanned girl raised the corner of her lips. "Yuki..."

"Yuri..." The fairer one extended out her hand as well.

"Romualdez." In an unconscious sense, my brows reached the wrinkled forehead due to the existent weather in between the exchanged delight on a winding road of turbidity and misery. They uttered in time when milliseconds stopped.

Distorted appellations were predetermined under the circumstances of persistence, their names were embedded in stages of this lifetime, holding onto something where appreciation can rest. Shivering my body turned cold, and holding on to their hands was the warmth that sent me off to live. When is it going to last through?

"Kinagagalak naming makilala ka. Salamat ulit sa pagbayad ng utang namin, ha." Yuri, in her genuine introductory persona dropped me to the ground of abomination.

Money. That was it. Drawing thin lines between social classes, money or financial wealth summarizes it all. However, when the totality of luxury was upheld, who was the wealthiest from financial to time, social, and health? If cents can afford anything worth its value, how much would it be for something you wished to stay for eternity?

Such inconclusive questions led to experiences' world revolve. Indefinitely, one can provide an answer in the long run.

"W-wala iyon. Would you mind letting me leave, right now?" Uttering those words in a split second, I continued when they seemed not to understand my words, "As in, right now?"

Their blinks simplified my speculation of them not literally understanding bits of my words. Upon internal debate, they both ended up nodding their heads with me knocking off the dirt as I left them without another utterance.

Unforeseen events used to happen in a span of a day, my hands curled on the string of the bag when a black car was waiting outside.

"Rai." An angelic face showed up from the backseat, nearly leaping toward me. "How was your day?"