Chapter 6

Sitting inside the clamorous food place, two identical faces were getting nearer wherein hiding in a curtain didn't work. The echoes of their laughter rang in my head, arms being pulled for my attention to focus on them.

"Nakakaintindi ka ng Filipino tapos ayaw mong magsalita no'n? Bakit, Raizelle Eas?" Yuki babbled the moment she placed herself beside me. The strong smell of her perfume screamed a nuisance to my brain.

"It's because..." Finishing my sentence was kind of unnecessary as Yuri had her smile plastered, expecting the words that would come out of my lips. "Ayaw ko! Masama bang awayan ang magsalita ng Filipino?"

There... the laughter that created haziness in my head as well as a spinning vision concluding that we were all not on the same page. Overthinking the idea that caused their joy, I was led to another set of regrets remembering that I have forgotten something important. No... someone important.

"Ayawan iyon, Rai! Hindi awayan," Yuri corrected as my stance of abruption was done with their stares went up to me. "Anong tinayo-tayo mo?"

Before further words were uttered, I was on a fast-paced walk toward the lower-grade classroom. With the silence in the hall and the muffled sound of dining, the drip in my chest tightened too badly leading to predetermined suffocation.

She was there sitting on her chair, pulling her lunchbox against her chest like a lifeline that was about to disappoint her hope. Her tears were set back, nose in cherry nearly pushing her to the edge until I revealed myself. The glow on her face was undeniable as her steps were farther to reach me in seconds.

"Sabing dadating ka, eh! Salamat, Ate." Her hold on my arms was a lock that keys were misplaced.

"Bakit hindi ka kumain mag-isa mo?" I questioned in the absence of the conscience that had been poking me for every millisecond.

She looked up. "Sabi kasi ni Mama, sasamahan mo akong kakain kaya naghintay ako."

Shaking my head in frustration that kept knocking on my door, I gripped her pulse to drag her out and return to where I was in a harmonious repose until those twins arrived and now I have this little pet to attend to.

"Hey," I called to the two's attention. "This is my sister, Monaliza."

In Yuki's glistening eyes, Mona received compliments for being cute enough especially when she giggled. After being so feisty in front of me weeks ago, I couldn't fathom her intentions in taking care of my sister for a second.

"Sabing kailangan mong matuto mag-Filipino, Rai. Kahit si Mona ay naguguluhan sa sinasabi mo," Yuki interjected as I placed myself back to where I was sitting. Looking down at that table, my meal wasn't touched and I am sure of it but the fact that it was left unattended scared me.

Feeling hinky about that situation, I finished the food by restricting the idea to leave my brain. Invading my day was forgivable but I was upset enough to hear complaints about myself, though adjustments must be done according to Abuela. These twins are such a nuisance.

"Let's have a deal!" My announcement was regretted silently as it underwent my impulsion. However, if a relationship's growth was caused by seeds that were scattered by faith, then what I was seeking shall take place, not through coincidence but the determination for improvement.

Yuki's head snapped at me, hearing my voice. "Ano naman iyon?"

Breathing out my pride over their judgment, I swore upon my sensitivity that letting them win this fight was close to impossibility. I had to make them aware of who owned the juggle they'd been crossing and mocking. "I'm going to pay you every time you catch me speaking in English in a casual conversation."