Chapter 2

Wearing my pajamas and soft house slippers, I exited the cornered room as my steps were soundless, almost like a ghost. Woods didn't creak despite my weight. There was nothing I could hear other than my breathing and feeling the chilliness of the morning when the sun was not up.

The dryness of the throat sought drops of liquid that could satisfy the thirst while walking in the dark hallway. Am I doing the right thing? There was nothing scarier than being startled at the time when I was focused on my thoughts, not minding what was around me.

"Happy birthday to you!" They started singing it all over again while the woman of the family held a cake with a lighted white candle at the center that wasn't appropriate for the color of the icing.

My heart constricted as I had no idea how to react. Warm and painful. Tingling like the edge of the knife dancing on my skin, not until it was buried and made me bleed. Cold blood rushed through my veins as I focused my gaze on nothingness rather than paying attention.

"Happy 11th birthday, Raizelle!" Aunt Victoria pressed me against her chest as her arms wrapped around my frame. "I'm so happy that you're here and always remember we'll be by your side, supporting you. We love you so much."

She moved away after uttering those words that weren't given a response even with a simple smile. Auntie took the cake from Easton's hold which she was carrying at first. Once again, that pair of auburn eyes beamed in my direction as if it would turn me into ashes. My chest rose against the sight of him taking steps forward reaching me and hugging me.

I didn't move a bit. He chuckled, realizing what my usual interaction with him was. "Getting old, aren't you? Happy Birthday, Cabbage."

My brows met and my forehead wrinkled after hearing the name called me. Blood rushed to my face making it flush so bad that I wanted to kick this elephant. Cabbage? Do I look like that freaking green vegetable?

Now that we were in the middle of the crowd where others celebrated such occasions we did not usually care about, darkness seemed to fade away when the sun rose from the east and dominated this side of the globe. Leaves were now rejoicing for such an opportunity to grow yet being deprived of something to drink.

Another guy stood in front leaving everyone behind. His face was drawn with disgust yet part of it was delighted. Pupil focused on my direction, it was a fathomless well of desires and secrets where drowning was the sole option. Fascinating and gorgeous, but when the mask was down and windows were open, the danger would creep its way.

"Happy birthday, Rai," South mumbled, pulling me against his chest for a fleeting warm hug. "Snobber ka pa rin, masama ang ugali, at masakit magsalita pero iintindihin kita. Cute is you."

My lips moved sideways as he didn't say any good thing. "Your English is bad. I don't want to hear it anymore."

Arms loosened around my frame, his face leveled with mine as a smirk crept on his lips and dazzling black eyes were twinkling. "Ang sama ng ugali. Alam mo, ang sarap mong kutusan minsan. And excuse me, I am fluent in English."

Wasn't able to hold back the rage, I clicked my tongue in disgust, rolling my eyes at him whose smile cracked from suppressing it. There was one thing I would like to do to him, it was to hit his head with something hard that would make him understand his own words. Cheeks burned with my actions, he turned to avoid my gaze and he completely left me standing in front of everyone.

South always succeeded in pissing me off as if tomorrow has never been promised for him to reserve his thick-headed jokes.

"Make a wish and blow your candles!" Auntie exclaimed, placing the sweet gateau at level with my face. Her smile never faded like the joy hadn't been somewhere other than here.