CHAPTER 4

"No matter how strong a person is there will be a vulnerable side.
A person is like a double-edged sword; strong at the same time vulnerable."
- Shinzoka Azayishi, Soul Hashira

**************************************

“Shamisen Contest”

2 YEARS BEFORE THE FINAL SELECTION – BEFORE THE TIME OF KAMADO TANJIROU AND OTHERS PT. 3

---------

“SHINZOKA-SAN, you should join a shamisen contest in Tokyo.”

My eyes widen. I stopped playing and looked under the tree. I’m in the top of wisteria tree branch playing my shamisen - practicing the new piece I made for Inosuke.

“Kanroji-san…what brings you here?” I asked and put the instrument inside its case.

“Your music is what brings me here.”

She smiled. Mitsuri Kanroji, she’s not a hashira yet but she will be soon as what I heard from the other hashiras. She also has this unique love breathing style.

I stayed silent because I don’t know how to respond. Did she just complement my piece? Her smile makes me blush a bit.

She’s really pretty and endearing. I sensed that she has a unique soul. It makes me want to share my inner feelings to her.

“The way you play the shamisen is full of love.” She said while holding her chest like my piece just made her warm.

“Ah – thank you, Kanroji-san.” I’m not pretty used with compliments. Still, it made my heart warm.

“Ah – eh…it’s nothing.” She shyly waved her hand then she gets something from her bag. She shows me a paper poster about an upcoming shamisen contest at Tokyo – Yoshiwara District.

“Here. Maybe you wanted to join the contest. I bet you will win because you’re amazing, Shinzoka-san.” She smiled.

I’m suddenly out of words and couldn’t even open my mouth.

“Oh, I have to go Shinzoka-san.” She bowed and was about to leave.

“Oh, I forgot to say, we will be there watching the event. If you don’t want to join the contest then maybe you can come with us just watching the event, if you don’t mind Shinzoka-san.” She added and put the paper poster near the bulging root of the tree. And with that she leaves me there hanging to what she just said.

My heart was pounding so fast. Excitement? Anxiety? There’s unexplainable feeling inside my stomach. I like to be in a contest – I mean I wanted everyone to hear my pieces, to hear and watch me play. Will father allow me? No – I think I should just keep it a secret from him.

I don’t know what to do. No – I must calm down. I should tell Inosuke!

After my training, I went to the mountain to meet Inosuke.

“Inosuke!” I pant and excitedly looking for him.

“What! You’re so noisy, Azayishi.” He appeared right through the bamboo trees. I show him the paper poster. He crooked his eyebrows in confusion.

“Huh?”

“What’s that? A leaf to clean my ass after taking a dump?” He scratches his head. I shook my head.

“No, look!” I giddily said. He deadpanned look at me. “I can’t read that right, the words are kinda distorted?” Oh yeah, my bad. I chuckled at how silly I am. The writing style is kind of hard to read.