CHAPTER 13

"But I believe it will slowly go back as that memory belongs to us, anyway."
Ubuyashiki Kagaya, Leader of Demon Slayer Corps

*************************************

“Memory Final Part”

After the tragedy at Yoshiwara

TOMIOKA GIYU

I WOKE UP when I heard the chirping of the birds. My body is so sore but when I inspect it there’s no wound, bruise, or any injuries. I wonder why?

I tried to recall what I did yesterday that cause my whole body to sore but I couldn’t recall what happened. Weird. Maybe, I will try to ask my crow – Kanzaburo.

Upon asking him, he can’t quite recall too. Well, considering my crow is very old and sometimes forgets to send me messages. Maybe, I’ll try to ask others in Butterfly Estate.

***

Arriving at Butterfly Estate, I didn’t get the answer that I want.

“Huh? Why would I know? We’re not hanging up together yesterday.” Shinobu said. I just nodded by her respond.

“You’re weird, Tomioka-san.” She smiled annoyingly and walks away. No, there’s definitely wrong going on here. I will report to Master Ubuyashiki.

While I was on the way my crow came to me and told me that there will be a Hashira Assembly at the Ubuyashiki Estate. Great Timing, I thought.

When I arrived, the other hashiras are already there. Gyomei, Tengen, Sanemi, Kanae, Mitsuri  Obanai, Rengoku and… wait, feels like something or someone is not here yet?

“Tomioka-san…Is something wrong?” I looked beside me and saw Kanae-san looking worried. I shook my head and told her there’s nothing. Then she suddenly asked about my head injury.

“How’s your head, Tomioka-san?”
I crooked my eyebrows in confusion.

“Head?” I asked back and she nodded.

“You’ve been sleeping for a week now and you just woke up recently.” She said and things getting more confusing.

“I was asleep too for 3 days. The last time I remember is that we were in Yoshiwara fighting an upper-rank demon that leave us there injured, surprisingly, alive. We didn’t able to kill the demon though.” She explained.

Now, everything in my mind started to picture out what happened at that time. I began to remember but I feel there’s a missing puzzle piece of my memory.

I looked at Tengen and Mitsuri. They are the other Hashiras who’s there in the Mission.

“That mission is an important mission since we suspect Muzan was there.” I added and everyone are looking at me and agreed. Though, I can feel their disappointments within their selves and their comrades when the mission failed.

“It was a difficult mission. I woke up from a deep slumber 2 days after. The last I remember is that I was about to follow someone…” Tengen started to spoke and crooked his eyebrows whole thinking about what happened.

“I think, I was about to follow a demon when it’s blood art affected us and result for us to went unconscious.” He added. He’s right about that now I remember.

“Master Ubuyashiki has arrived.” The twins supports Master Ubuyashiki to walk near us. We immediately bow down as respect. Even when I’m bowing down I can sense that he’s smiling. The aura changed whenever he’s here.

“It’s nice seeing you, Master Ubuyashiki.” Sanemi greeted the master first.

“I’m so happy that all of you are present now.” He said.

“A house in Swordsmith Village has been burned down to the ground by a demon while the other hashiras been on a mission.” Our eyes widen by the news. Swordsmith Village?

“It was quite unexpected and fortunately no one was there at the house. It was reported that it was abandoned. “ he added. Everyone was just listening to what he said.

“I heard that the mission at Yoshiwara was a failure. Though, I’m glad that you 4 are alive.” He’s referring to me, Kanae, Mitsuri, and Tengen. We can’t help but feeling disappointed. We are Hashiras afterall.

“Master Ubuyashiki, we greatly apologize for failing our mission. We going to train and work harder. “ Mitsuri bowed down to the ground even more and was about to tear up in disappointment.

“Mitsuri, look up.” Master said in calm gentle manner. Mitsuri looked up and saw Master’s reasurring smile.

“It serves as a lesson for all of you. I hope you all will work harder and protect each other.” He said and we all nodded. We all looked up and saw his presence which made us warm and become more dedicated.

“I hope you will care and protect each other even more. “ he said with a smile but I can sense that Master said that in attempt from remembering someone.

“Pardon me Master Ubuyashiki, after our mission something's a bit wrong within ourselves. It feels we’re missing some parts of our memory. Is this a work of a demon?” Kanae asked. Master stayed silent for a while and began to answer Kanae’s question.

“That might be a work of a demon. Maybe its blood art causes some fragment of our memory to collapsed. But I believe it will slowly go back as that memory is belongs to us, anyway. We have nothing to worry about.” My eyes widen. He said ‘us’ that means him and others.

“That demon must be an upper-rank demon but I think there is a chance that demon is gone. With that immense power it releases, there is a chance it absorbed itself to the point of death.” Master added.

I’m thinking…such demon is capable of that kind of self-destruction and a destruction of spiritual core of a being but it didn’t kill us anyway when we are unconscious. What if this is Muzan’s doing?

“Pardon me Master, that means… you also fell unconscious for how many days?” I asked. Master Ubuyashiki looked at me in surprised that I had the confidence to spoke up which is I wasn’t usually do.

Master warmly smiled. “I was awake when my memories started to disorganized.” He said that made us surprised. He’s awake?

“Though, even I’m conscious my memories still got affected.” We all stayed silent after that. I looked at everyone and they gave off confused expressions. I bet they experienced it too. I doubt that it’s Muzan because I feel deep within me that I don’t need to worry or be afraid.

“After all, it seems not a single memory is gone within ourselves.” Master Ubuyashiki added. He smiled in assurance.

I agree with Master Ubuyashiki. It seems not a single memory of mine is gone. I still remember my past and everything but what happened at the Yoshiwara is still a mystery for me even though I have a glimpse of memory of it – there’s something missing within me and I can’t figure out what is it.

As what Master said it will come back some time because that memory belongs to us. I doubt that but still couldn’t care less to believe.

I wonder if that demon is doing it for a purpose. Not in a harms way but something more than that – to protect. But I shrugged that thought off because I believe demons all lose their humanity and will harm anyone as they pleases. Come to think of it, I still think someone missed this assembly.

*****