St Andrew Stories - part 1; Protestors

G - Gough,  N - Norna, M - Matthew,  LA - Lord Adamson,  P - Protestors,  GD - Gough's driver,  Gu - Guard

A few decades ago, in the top right corner of Scotland, a new preservation railway was formed. It had three engines that helped to renovate the line. But of course, not everything was smooth sailing. A group of people would protest and were against the railways opening. They would stood on the tracks while the engines would pass. These are the stories our main character, Gough, would tell us...

G: Ah yes, I remember the first days of the St Andrew Railway as a heritage railway. Those were good times, but of course, we had some slight hick ups. Back when the railway's construction began in 1961, my cousin Matthew would tell me how some people would stand right in-between the tracks and would say they won't move because how the railway would ruin the air with our steam coming from our funnels. Of course, I thought he was making that up, but then I would experience that myself...

Throwback into late-1963

G: I'm sure Matthew just made that up to give me a good fright since I'm new here to the railway. Besides, why can't Lord Adamson just put a stop to it?

GD: I'm sure it's more complicated than that, lad. Let's just focus on the track and make sure we deliver this ballast to Densley Worth workshops. 

Just then, Gough noticed a group of people standing on tracks with a huge sign which they're holding. His driver slammed the brakes on and Gough whistled furiously to allert the people to get off the tracks. At last, he stopped.

G: What in name of my designer are ye doing 'ere, ye fools?! Trying to get yourself killed?!

P: Well, you're going to kill all of the enviroment with all of this smoke you're coughing up from your funnels!

G: Excuse me?

P: Aye, you heard us, you pile of rusted junk

GD: Oi, you have no right to speak to something that isn't yours! Now move, before I release the brakes!

P: Threathening are you? You should consider yourself lucky, because we don't have the police with us. 

G: You should point that ridicolous sign of yours up your...- Gough was interrupted by the Guard

Gu: I'm going to call the cops if you don't move from the tracks before I lose it, did I make myself clear!?

P: This isn't over, nature killers!

G: Aye, that's what I'm afraid of. *scoffs*

That evening, at the sheds

G: And then they said: "This isn't over, nature killers!"

M: I would tell you: "I told you so", but karma is doing that for me. *chuckles*

N: This is no time for joking, Matthew. These protestors are becoming a real problem. If they are going to continue like that, more and more people are going be against the railway.

M: But, Norna, did we kill any trees during the re-building process of the railway?

G: He's got a point, Norna. Beside ripping up some bushes from the original trackbed, did we really killed any nature and ruined any animals home?

Just then, the manager of the soon-to-be-heritage railway, Lord William Adamson II came to the sheds.

LA: Ah, good evening, engines. Gough, I've heard your encounter with the protestors, so that's why I have decided to re-open the railway as a heritage railway in a week !