( B.R ) Follow Me

It was a nice summer day at the sandlot, one of those days where it wasn't stoping anyone from playing baseball.

Even though it was the perfect time to be playing ball, we were all sat at the dugout with sodas in hand. All except Benny who seemed to be somewhat irritated.

Squints was currently taking ice from the cooler and throwing it at Yeah-Yeah, making him jump up and spill soda all over his front. "Squints!" He yelped over Squints' fits of laughter.

Ham was blowing into an empty bottle which made a whistling sound, and he tried playing a tune (though it was definitely in the wrong key). I was flipping a coin seeing if it landed on heads or tails.

I couldn't really tell you what the rest of them were doing, because I didn't even know the answer. Then suddenly Benny's voice cut through the laughs of the boys, "Come on guys, we ain't got all day."

Yeah-Yeah was still trying to wipe some of the soda off his front, but the rest of the attention was on him. "We're just taking a break." Squints said, the others nodding. "We've been playing for like four hours straight, Benny." Timmy cut in. "Four hours straight." Tommy repeated. "Benny man, just a little longer." Kenny continued.

He looked at them all doubtfully before looking at me. I shook my head, "Don't put this on me, Benny." I honestly didn't mind a fair break, but I didn't want to upset him more. He looked down a bit before waving his hand, "Fine. Fine, just forget about it." And with that he set his bat down and walked off.

I looked around at the boys, the majority of them just shrugging. I sighed, setting my drink down and getting up. I had no clue where Benny was off to, but I went after him nonetheless. The noise of the group behind me became more distant every step I took.

I finally caught up to him and spun him around to face me by his shoulder. "Jesus Benny, where are you going?"

Something in his eyes flickered when he saw me, but I ignored it waiting for an answer. He took a moment like he was thinking of what to say, and then he looked off to the side, "It's just.. they don't take baseball seriously."

I couldn't help but grin at his reply. He really did have this passion for playing baseball, I just knew he'd make it big someday.

"They don't take anything seriously, Benny." He still didn't look me in the eye, but I saw a smile break onto his face. "I guess."

"Alright, let's go back." I said, taking his hand. He stayed put pulling me back, "What-"

Suddenly our lips connected into a short but magical kiss. It was unexpected but sweet, and as we pulled apart I noticed he also had a blush on his cheeks.

"What was that for?" I asked, our hands still held together. He shrugged lightly, "Why'd you follow me?"

I rolled my eyes playfully as I dragged him along with me back to the sandlot.
_____________