Prologue

The cool bite of metal hit Ella's throat, forcing her to move back into the girl behind her. Ella's lungs filled with the stench of ash and blood as she refused to look at the pile of bodies that laid bloody on the dirt floor, unmoving. Hateful faces of pirates sneered as they surrounded them. Is everyone dead? Ella thought as she stood helplessly against her captor, unable to fight. How did it end up like this?

"It's over Peter." The girl holding the knife against Ella's throat said wickedly.

Peter circles around, taking strategic steps to face his enemies around him. His eyes glint with rage that dared anyone to step in his path to meet an early grave. Peter's emerald green eyes finally met with Ella's. Realization dawns on him as he raises his sword, gripping the handle tight as his eyes turn cold and vile. In response, the girl presses the knife against Ella's throat harder, making Ella gasp for air.

"Do it Peter, or she dies."

Ella shakes her head. She was pleading him not to do it. If he gives in, everything will be lost.

Peter turns his gaze back on Ella, his eyes softening. Slowly, he drops his weapon and snaps his fingers. In a puff of smoke, he summons a small clear vile filled with red liquid into his hand, popping off the lid.

"Peter don't!" Ella cries and tries to move toward him. But the knife bites her throat, drawing blood that forces Ella to move back again.

"You will not hurt her." He growls, taking a step forward.

The girl laughs, the sound echoing across the trees. "Drink it, so we shall be together again. This fool will not matter to you."

Tears well up in Ella's eyes. This couldn't be happening. How could she have let this happen?

Peter ignored the girl and only focused on Ella, his eyes glowing brightly as he mouthed "I love you" before plunging the potion down his throat.

"No!!!" Ella screams.

Peter grunts in pain as he clutches his stomach, his lips turning into a gray-ashy color. An all-still forest erupts into a frenzy, clouds swirling in from all around them like a hurricane. Specks of dirt swirl and sting into Ella's eyes as lightning cracks hard and fast around them.

The girl laughs but lets Ella go as she falls to her knees, crawling to him in the harsh wind.

"Whatever you do," he yells, his voice barely carried over the whipping wind "do not let her catch you! Run, get off the..." He winces in pain trying to fight the effects as he reaches for her. "Get off the island. Promise me."

Dropping to his knees, Peter looks up at the sky screaming in pain, his hands on his head, pulling his hair. Ella freezes in place, unable to do anything, unable to stop the pain he is having. Why did he have to save her? Tears stream down Ella's face as Peter collapses on the ground, green eyes fluttering shut as the storm suddenly disperses.

"Peter!" Ella yells as she finally reaches him and places his head in her lap, he's still breathing.

"He is mine now." The girl's sweet voice purred.

Ella stroked his brown hair, not wanting to leave him. "What did you do?" Ella's voice rasped.

With a flick of the girl's wrist, Peter's unconscious body twisted like a puppet on strings. "Stop that!" Ella screams as she pulls him closer.

The girl flashed an amused smile. "Oh please, stay with us. He will wake soon, and I love to see him rip you apart."

Ella's face streamed with tears as she held him, not caring what happened next. Everyone she ever loved or cared for is dead anyways. Her gaze travels across the ashy clearing, spotting her friends' bodies tangled at strangle angles, or their blood pooling in the dirt. "No... no Peter, please come back to me" she whispers.

In the midst of the darkness surrounding her, a flash of sunlight dips above the horizon, past the trees, blinding Ella. Her hand comes up to her eyes to block the sun. Its golden rays illuminate the once darkened sky, pink and orange colors blending with the fading blue to night. Just as the light struck her, a realization dawned that Ella must keep her promise. She had promised Peter to run and fight another day. Gathering up her courage, Ella gently placed Peter's head on the ground and stood on shaky legs to face the girl. She saw that the girl's clothes had transformed back to when they first met with her white-blonde hair tied up neatly in a light blue ribbon, matching her nightgown and slippers.

"Ready to die so soon, Ella?"

"Not if you can't catch me first Wendy," Ella replied as she turned and bolted in the other direction through the forest.

..............

Ducking and dodging, Ella's heart pounded faster as her bare feet hit the uneven terrain. A low branch scrapes Ella's knee and she winces from the sharp sting. I can make it.

Wendy's laughter echoes through the trees, forcing Ella to ignore her burning lungs. She was right behind her.

"Where are you?" Wendy calls from behind, gaining on her.

Ella knew this was all a game to her. Hunting for sport, but Ella had to keep her promise. Peter needs her to make it, to get off the island. Bumping into trees, the brush thickens, surrounding her. She already has control.

Like claws, the branches tug and pull on her brunette hair and tattered clothes. Ella pushed through when Wendy's hypnotic laughter draws near. Where is she?

Ella takes off again, sweat dripping down her brow when suddenly a branch catches Ella's foot, her bloody face strikes the coarse dirt, stunning her. She's too close. With shaky arms, Ella forces herself up and hides behind the nearest tree, praying she wasn't spotted.

"Come on you bitch. Don't you want him back?" The sound of Wendy's voice screeches in Ella's ears. "True love could break it. But you aren't his true love huh? I am."

Was she ever a human? Ella turns her head to glance. A few feet ahead, her striking blonde hair catches Ella's eye as she comes into view. Wendy twirls around, humming a sweet tune in the dimming light of the forest like she had no care in the world.

I have to get up. I have to move. Ella's body cries in protest while slowly standing up against the tree, trying not to make a sound.

Snap!

Wendy's piercing blue eyes dart in Ella's direction, finding her.

"Oh, there you are Ella." Wendy's smile spreads into an evil grin.