Chapter 4

Ash Wednesday was fast approaching, the clock ticking down, and the former Mrs. Easter Bunny was coaching Buttercup on the process of Egg Laying.

"I thought you said I laid from Passover to Good Friday, Passover is still over a month away."

Mrs. Easter Bunny went red. "Sorry, I was stressed that day, I meant Ash Wednesday to Good Friday, sorry if I let on that you wouldn't have to lay as long on years where Passover is closer to Easter."

Buttercup shook her head, "I knew what you meant, I was just checking. Wanted to make sure I was really getting the full Lenten Season as promised."

"Yeah, okay, I'm sure you'll enjoy all six weeks of it," Mrs. Easter Bunny sighed.

Mrs. Easter Bunny led Buttercup into the laying room, it was decorated nicely with a soft nest in the center (basically like her bed, but for laying in. The other laying), chutes on the wall for sorting and organizing eggs, if those two words had any real difference.

"Okay, allow me to show you what you'll be doing," Mrs. Easter Bunny withdrew a fancy Easter Egg, painted with all sorts of colors, curving and swirling their way across its smooth surface. "This is an example of one of the eggs you'll be laying, most of them are about this size, but they do vary more or less every once in awhile."

Buttercup grabbed the egg, looking at it mesmerized. "Look at the size of these eggs," Buttercup squealed, "and so beautiful too, so colorful and eggy shaped" it was always good to scream in agony over something so beautiful. She looked down at herself. Newborn rabbits were fairly small, and giving birth to them still left a rabbit squealing, these eggs on the other pawpad were so much bigger. "I am in no way built in the same size or shape as a chicken to accommodate this," Buttercup observed. The pressure it would take to lay one of those when she probably wouldn't even be able to handle a small newborn rabbit, there was no way she was going to be able to take it. She moved a paw toward her back legs and tried to imagine laying on of these things. "Ooh! That is going to be so painful!" Oh how small her poor little delicate body was, there was no way this would work. It'd be so INTENSE!

Yes! Bring it on!

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door, and a young Blue Bird peaked in. "Excuse me missuses," she tweeted shyly, "the Nurse Maids are here."

Bambii's Mom nodded, "Send them in."

The door opened and in flew a red cardinal, self assured looking, but kind. And then from behind her - Buttercup gasped – stepped in Edwina, one of the hens from Buttercup's old farm, the same one who had mocked her about plastic eggs last year.

"Edwina!" Buttercup cried, "What are you doing here? You're... you're my Nurse Maid?"

Edwina looked at Buttercup, an even expression on her face, "I only agreed to do this because I wanted to see you squeal your little hiney off as you lay eggs for a change."

Buttercup looked at her for a second. "Well," she said finally, "I hope I don't disappoint. This is so great!"

Edwina just looked flabbergasted.

"Uh," said the blue bird in the door, "can I go now? I'm not needed anymore, right? I don't know if I want to... I don't want to be here when..."

The former Missus nodded, and the blue bird flapped out of the room as quick as her little wings could carry her.

"She's so laying eggs someday," Buttercup mussed. Birds, it was unavoidable.

Finally, Bambii came in carrying a stack of all his Easter Baskets. He put them down and looked at Buttercup. "You sure you got this?"