Chapter 6

And so the rest of Lent continued for Buttercup, rest and happy times with Bambii on Sundays, and lots of unceasing agony and screaming the other six days of the week.

It was everything Buttercup had always dreamed, but it was also even more so. She had expected pain - lots and lots of pain - and she enjoyed being in that unbearable state. But she did not expect to find something more, that beyond all the pain, there was a state of almost transcendence; that by experiencing that which was beyond all imagining, she'd somehow passed beyond the realm of the known and into a state beyond all words.

In all the pain, it almost seemed as if she had achieved some sort of weird kind of meditative state.

Who says Lenting can't work, Buttercup thought.

And she decided to call it girly transcendence, it sounded enough like girly weirdness to emphasize how embarrassing it all was, but yet it also sounded just so, to emphasize that there was something special about being a girl.

It was closing in on Good Friday, and Buttercup realized with a sense of sadness, that her time of the year was almost up. As the last hour of Lent began, Bambii and his mother came into the room. Cardinal, who'd been paying attention to Buttercup's labor looked up, her eyes lighting with understanding at the expression on Bambii's mother's face.

"Is it almost time?" Cardinal asked.

Bambii's mother nodded.

"We've almost finished sorting all the eggs, and we only have a few more before it's time for... The One." Bambii confirmed.

Buttercup looked from one to the other, confused. "Time for what?"

Everyone just looked at one another in the room, even Edwina had a sly smirk on her face. Apparently, Buttercup was the only one who hadn't got the memo to whatever this was.

"Nothing to worry about dear," said Bambii's mother, "It's just best to escort you into a bigger room for the... next part, alright?"

Oh they definitely were hiding something.

Bambii looked away awkwardly. Normally, he would've felt it only fair to tell her, but given how she was receiving the whole experience, he figured she would probably be up for the surprise.

And she was, she had no idea what they were expecting her to go through, but it couldn't be good, and the idea that she had no idea what she would be experiencing in the next few minutes was almost too exciting to bear.

Bambii pressed a button, and there was a whirring of machinery. Buttercup's Egg Laying Nest was lifted into the air on a platform, and a series of lifts and pullies whisked the bed out the door and out into the rest of the factory. From up here, Buttercup could get a good view of the factory, all the going ons and sortings, and continue laying uninterrupted at the same time. Finally, the contraption ended, discarding Mrs. Easter Bunny and her bed out into the center of the factory where she had noticed the giant Egg on the first night here, but tonight, it was empty.

Bambii hopped up to meet her there, followed by the others.

Buttercup had just finished laying another excruciating egg, and suddenly, her innards fell silent, she felt nothing more at all.

"Is that all?" Asked Buttercup in slight disappointment.

"Not exactly," said Bambii.

Buttercup looked at the faces of her friends surrounding her, all with knowing expressions.

"What do you mean?" Asked Buttercup suspiciously.

Bambii was silent for a moment, then finally he spoke, "Remember how when you got here last year we had this giant Easter Egg?"