Resolve

"When you're scared
I will stay with you
When you feel you're falling
I'll lift you
When your heart breaks
I'll ease your aches
Whatever it takes, I'm in
Anytime you need a friend

- Anytime You Need a Friend" by the Beu Sisters

Chapter 32: Resolve

Orochimaru towered over me, snickering. "Oh ho, you think you can stop me, little girl?"

I continued to glare at him. My shield had vanished, but I kept my hand raised so I could form another one. "I will do whatever I have to protect Naruto. I won't let you touch him!"

"Then it looks like I will have to kill you first."

"Enough!" Tsunade shouted. In an instant, she was in front of me, shielding Naruto and me. "You don't have enough chakra. Let me handle him."

At this, Orochimaru actually looked taken back. "Tsunade, you are the one person I wouldn't want to kill. Listen to me, if that brat is allowed to live, it will mean more trouble than you and your friends could ever imagine. Stay out of my way."

"No. You listen to me. If I do nothing else, I will protect this boy." Tsunade still appeared worn out, but she refused to give in. Perhaps what Jiraiya saw in her was right after all. "By saving him, I'm saving my home."

"You really think you're protecting the village?"

Tsunade looked back at Naruto. "You see this boy, this lowly genin, has been chosen by fate to be hokage someday."

"That's right!" I said.

Orochimaru laughed. "What nonsense. Even if it is true, what of it? Who cares about the hokage? Only a fool would want that job."

Tsunade remained silent for a minute as if lost in her thoughts. Then resolve overtook her face, and she said confidently, "From now on, I am gambling everything. I'm putting my life on the line."

"Well, if you're really willing to throw your life away for the sake of one insignificant brat, I'm happy to accommodate you!" He immediately withdrew his sword and attacked Tsunade. While she fell, I moved my body over Naruto's, keeping an arm free in case I needed to defend him. Orochimaru walked towards us, smiling wickedly. "It's all over now, little girl."

"I told you, I'll never let you hurt him," I growled while my cats hissed. Orochimaru struck with his sword, but I formed a shield in time. This did not seem to deter him, and he kept pushing into the shield, attempting to break it. Mayonaka and Mashumaro leapt at him and attached themselves to his legs with their teeth. Surprised, Orochimaru stumbled back. Then someone slammed into his side, knocking him completely off balance. Tsunade.

"Katsumi, make sure you protect Naruto," Tsunade said, her eyes on Orochimaru.

I nodded. "Always."

My cats returned to my side, and we all remained near Naruto. Fortunately, Tsunade was able to drive Orochimaru away from us. Despite her injuries, she was determined to fight as the Fifth Hokage. Then she summoned a giant slug while Orochimaru summoned a snake and Jiraiya his toad. The sight of the enormous animals fighting was certainly something to behold.

Using inhuman strength, Tsunade pinned the giant snake to the ground. From there, she punched Orochimaru to send him flying, nearly knocking him out. She stood panting opposite of Orochimaru and Kabuto; all three appeared too worn to continue.

"Tsunade," said Orochimaru, "so, you refuse to heal my arms, do you? Very well then. I don't need you. There is one other way. And I will destroy the Leaf Village. Depend on it. I hope we'll meet again very soon when I once more walk among you. Until then, my dear old friends." Then he began to sink into the ground. "When I return with the Elixir of Life, I'll show you what it means to be truly immortal."