Is Rantaro Amami Overrated?

SPOILERS OF DRV3!!!

Okay, we all know Rantaro is a fan-favorite character from the DRV3. I think he's voted 6th place in a Japanese popularity poll? And he's one of my favorites too.

But I got to admit...

Sometimes I feel like he's overrated. But before I continue, this is NOT to bash on his character or anything. Let me explain. To put it simply...

The boy died first. 😅

So uhh, how is he that popular???

(Rantaro in Yttd Art style. I'm sorry, but he looks like an airhead in this sprite. Forgive my little roast XD).

Rantaro didn't even have that much screen time, so I didn't understand the hype around him. After I finished the game, I was really surprised to figure out that he's one of the fan-favorites.

Believe it or not, I don't even like Rantaro that much. (Yeah, he's cool) But in my initial playthrough, I didn't even pay attention to him. He was very shady at the start, so I stayed away from his character. And when he died, I was SHOCKED (didn't think he was gonna get murked first) But I kinda forgot about him as I continued my playthrough. He just wasn't that interesting to me at the time. (Sorry fans, but that's my honest review lol).

It was only until I researched his character that I grew intrigued with him. Because there's the whole mystery surrounding him and the 52 season and all that. So many unanswered questions regard his character, that I started to see that he actually has more depth than I thought.

It's just that... I feel like he gets too much attention because of his attractive character design. And while there's nothing wrong with that, when you compare him to characters like Ryoma, I feel like there's a big discrepancy.

(This is NOT a drawing of mine

(This is NOT a drawing of mine. I just wanted Ryoma to glare daggers at Rantaro)

I really like Ryoma, and I wished we saw more of his character arc in V3. Look, I bet if Ryoma didn't have a "silly character design," he would have more fans. No one wants to admit it, but I feel like this holds some truth...😟

(...But don't worry Ryoma. You play a big role in my upcoming DRV3 fanfic. As the author, I will make you a fan favorite. I will do your character arc justice! Because you point out the flaws of our protagonist). 👀

Rantaro was... almost like a plot device in V3? Then again, DRV3 is very meta as it is, so I'm not surprised. The lovely mastermind *cough cough* (damn you Tsumugi) needed him dead cause well, he *knew* too much.

This is just my own analysis, but I think Rantaro is this type of Enneagram:

THE PEACEMAKER (Type 9)
The Easygoing, Self-Effacing Type: Receptive, Reassuring Agreeable, and Complacent.

Basic Fear: Of loss and separation
Basic Desire: To have inner stability "peace of mind"

Key Motivations: Want to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever would upset or disturb them.

As you can see from his enneagram type, Rantaro has positive traits, so I understand why people love him. In Rantaro x YTTD, we see him snap because of his basic fear (loss and separation). Overall, Rantaro a caring guy who would fight for his family. I mean, that's amazing.

 I mean, that's amazing

(Rantaro and Midori. I posted the black and white line art in a previous part, but here's a colored version of the drawing).

But I do have to say... Rantaro is not as overrated like Kokichi. (Kokichi, you are an amazing antagonist, but there's too much hype around you. But he's a controversy that I don't want to touch up on, lol).