𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯.

(chapter tw — descriptions of physical abuse)

• • • •

The weekend had snuck up on Faith, but instead of readying herself for a trip with Chris to London for his birthday, she currently sat in the office of her attorney prepping her testimony for Derek and Carly's trial. They were both facing kidnapping charges, but since Carly had agreed to testify against Derek, it was expected that her charges would be less severe. Faith wasn't sure how to feel about that — after all, she hadn't proven herself to be trustworthy when it came to her or Chris. To be honest, it wouldn't have been a surprise to Faith if she saw no jail time at all.

"So, did you go over the preparation tips I emailed you?" Angela Braun sat down at her desk after Faith had taken a seat and set her belongings. Clad in a gray pinstriped pantsuit, the older Black woman looked ever the consummate professional.

"Yes, I did. Though there were a few questions I had..."

"Fire away. That's why I'm here."

Faith let out a small sigh, recalling Chris's words via text earlier. It was expected to be nervous with things like this, but she also knew that maintaining a confident demeanor in the courtroom gave them a better chance of winning. "How much of my past relationship with Derek will come into play? Will the defense try to use it against me?"

"They very well might," Angela answered, matter-of-factly. "But you must remember that you aren't on trial. And even if you were, it's up to you to answer honestly and to the best of you recollection. Most importantly, don't overthink it."

Faith nodded along, trying her best to commit everything Angela was telling her to memory. Though being on the witness stand was a lot more nerve-wracking than sitting in an office. "Is Chris going to have to testify?"

"I personally won't be calling him as a witness, but the defense will because of Carly. I've already been in touch with his lawyer to prepare him if so. Anything else you need to know?"

There was so much more now that she thought about it. But Faith knew they didn't have an infinite resource of time, as Angela not only had other clients to see about, but also prepare for the trial. "No, I think I'm good."

"Then let's go win this thing."

• • • •

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?"

"I do."

"Be seated."

The bailiff stepped away and Faith took her seat, smoothing out a few wrinkles in her skirt. The number of people inside the courtroom wasn't large, save for the 12-person jury, but she still felt like millions of people were watching her every move. The preparation she'd done to arrive at this moment would have to carry her the rest of the way. That plus the insane amount of prayer her mother had been doing recently.