Detesting Districts

Being on the train with more people was nicer but less peace. The mentors and escorts argued a lot and I hardly got to talk to Quell because he was too busy talking to Cinna (the other fashion guy). I'm pretty sure they were just designing outfits the entire time and left to a different part of the train to make them.

I was stuck sitting between Katniss and Peeta awkwardly. Peeta turned on the TV so we could watch random programs but I was bored with it and settled with throwing strawberry tops into a cup.

After a while Effie and Darla came into our car and smiled at us. "I made you some cards for your speech." They said in unison.

They handed each of us a single card.

I take it and glance at it once before tossing it to the side.

"I'm not reading that." I say as I cross my arms and look at the TV.

Darla sighed and Effie scoffed. "At least Katniss pretends to read it first."

Katniss gave her a look and I smirk.

"Ced" Peeta starts.

"It's Cedric" I say quickly as I look at him.

He frowns "How come you get to nickname us but we don't get to nickname you?"

"Because that's just how it works." I say as I push away Darla's hands as she tries to fix my hair.

Peeta rolls his eyes but says "Come on, we just need to read the cards. Won't it be better than improvising?"

I cross my arms "I'm not lying to them."

Effie holds her face "Oh dear, Darla I truly feel bad for you."

Darla sighs and pulls her hands away "He's not this bad normally." she frowns at me "Can you at least just be your normal Capitol charming self? We'll be arriving in fifteen minutes."

I sigh then get up and walk away. "Sure, I love wearing a fake face." I mutter.

I've been having problems recently. I don't know why but as this tour got closer I keep having flashes of memories that I never remember until recently.

Memories of my dad and how he left keep flooding my brain. All I can think about if how I wouldn't have ended up like this if he was around. Another problem I'm having is soon in my district they're bringing in a few girls. They do this every once in a while when the boys get older.

What's the use of all this knowledge on how to repopulate the world without a little experience? All the boys have to go through this and now it's coming back. It's a test all over again. It's horrible because it makes all the boys even more crazy. They get lustful and prideful. I feel bad for the girl even though she technically does sign up for it. No one resists it but I still hate it.

It's annoying because I know it's coming up again. I used to never mind it until one time when I caught one of the girls sobbing in her room.

If the girls later get pregnant and if it's boys they send them here and if it's girls they judge their looks and either send them to the Capitol or some District.

On my seventeenth birthday last week I was sent a letter. It was from my father before he died. The post was holding it until I had turned seventeen as my father had requested. I never knew about that but it impressed me and I had been eager to read when words he had wrote to me.

It was a greeting, a happy birthday, and an apology for not staying alive to see me grow. He just talked about my mom and how she was beautiful. He talked about a technique of fighting he had taught me when I was younger and how I should practice it. The fighting style was called Immobilized Energy. The style apparently was passed down from the males of my family. It was fighting by using pressure points. Hitting people's pressure points to knock them our or immobilize them. I haven't used it since dad left. When he left he had told me never to use the technique so I didn't. His letter told me to use it now that I was older and hopefully wiser.