Chapter II

*knock knock*

I rush downstairs with my baggage in my left hand not thinking about where I'm about to go or who I'm going to meet.

Miss Boksun has already opened the door. Two tall men are standing just outside our house. Behind them I can see a carriage and two white horses that don't seem to be bothered by the heavy rain.

God, this family must be really rich.

Before i leave, I say my goodbyes to Miss Boksun and Yuna

"Take care, my Ryujin. We will wait for you." 

I smile and nod at Miss Boksun

"Good luck, Ryujin Unnie."

I thank Yuna and head towards the carriage. I look one more time at my house where i was raised in. I don't know how much time I'm going to spend at that house or if I'll ever return. Maybe after i get my money I will leave this country and go somewhere in the west.

After a REALLY long ride, we finally made it. I slept half of the time and I still have a bump on my head because of the uneven and rocky road. Who thought it would be a great idea to build a house in the middle of nowhere AND move in it?!

As I exit the carriage I can't help but admire the view. It was hard because it was dark, but the full moon shone brightly. I must admit, I didn't expect to like it, but wow. I'm really impressed. The house is huge. I think it has at least three or four floors.

One of the two men that were with me on the carriage gave me my luggage. Suddenly, a woman appears out of nowhere. She might be one of the other maids? I don't think so, she seems to be too old to be a maid. She has a really upright posture. Her black hair with white strands is tied in a bun. And her dress is ugly. Really ugly. I hope i don't have to wear the same thing.

"Hello, miss...?"

"Ryujin. Shin Ryujin."

"Yes, that's right. Please follow me inside."

I take a deep breath and go after her inside the building. 

"This is the main hallway. Lady Hwang usually uses these stairs to go to her reading lectures."

"Her reading lectures..?"

"Yes. I thought you already knew. She reads the books written by her uncle at those lectures. Many wealthy men come all the way here just to listen to her."

I chuckled.

"Are they too dumb to read on their own?"

"They come all the way here to listen to her... interpret.. those books."

I was still confused but I decided not to ask anymore questions and just listen to her.

"And finally, Hwang Yeji's room."

I look at the closed wooden doors.

"And here, opposite of her room, is yours."

I open the door to my room and see a... A bed. Just a bed. This isn't even a room. It's literally just a bed carved into a wall hidden behind a wooden door. 

"I know it's nothing special but.."

I scoff

"You don't say."

"..BUT it's the best room we have available for maids. Trust me, the other maids have it way worse than you. I have to go now. You should rest. Lady Hwang usually wakes up early so you only have a couple of hours left until then. Good night."