dust and giggles

Y/n almost died that day.

Key word here being ALMOST, okay?!

They moved into the golden core formation stage, and there was lightning and thunder to accompany them. Sure, a few stray bolts of lightning almost fried y/n, but at least they managed to form a golden core without qi deviating!

Hell yeah!!

From that day forward, y/n was able to keep up with their training, and improved by leaps and bounds weekly.

One day in particular, Yang Yixuan was staring at y/n training like they'd gone mad, and whispered to another disciple, "Are they okay??"

The other disciple shrugged, looking just as baffled. "Should... should we do something...?"

Yang Yixuan thought about it, then nodded. After a moment, he called out.

"Hey, junior! Do you wanna train with us today?"

Y/n's eyes snapped up from where they were, squinted from the sweat dripping from their brow. They fumbled a sword form once they realized who it was.

YANG YIXUAN—?!

Y/n sheathed their sword and coughed into a hand, trying to appear as composed as possible. Well, since luck liked to screw over y/n, the tiny cough turned into a hack fest because y/n inhaled the dust they swept up.

Someone stepped behind them and started patting their back with a lot of force, which made it a bit... better? At least they were *trying*, y/n thought. They looked up with watery eyes at the piercing slate grey gaze they remembered all too well, even though they had only *officially* met once.

Ah, shit.

"Shizun!" Yang Yixuan and the other Bai Zhan disciples brightened up immediately, and hurried to bow to him. Y/n scrambled to do the same.

Liu Qingge's intimidating countenance was something that made y/n's heart beat faster—it felt like they were an antelope staring at a tiger.

Their shizun nodded, then said, "There has been a request to exterminate monsters in the Shulin Forest. Bai Zhan will go on a night hunt tonight to respond. Understood?"

There was a chorus of cheers from the disciples, y/n included. Liu Qingge nodded, then thought to himself. He cracked his knuckles and smirked.

"On to more important matters... who's first?"

The excitement in y/n's chest suddenly dropped to their stomach.

FUCKK NOT AGAIN—!!!!

........

After another thorough ass-whooping, y/n gingerly made their way to the base of the mountain. Bai Zhan Peak was much more steep than any of the other peaks on Cang Qiong, so that meant... more stairs.

fuck my life, y/n thought.

Though, because of their newly formed golden core, they were able to recover from that beating at a faster pace than a few months ago. Y/n also noticed they lasted a few seconds longer than their previous attempt. Even THAT was one hell of an accomplishment.

[Mission: "Train Harder" complete! +100 B-points. Continue working hard, user 003!]

Just 100 points??? Shitty system, those tasks almost took a year!!!! Y/n rolled their eyes, but even that couldn't keep the smile from their face. They've completed a mission, and were one step closer to becoming stronger!

[New mission: "Nighthunt like No Tomorrow" is now available. Accept?]

Y/n practically slapped that [yes] option... um, with their eyes? Yeah.

Y/n grinned giddily to themselves. Soon, they might even stand a chance against their shizun—

"Y/n? What's so funny?"

Y/n looked at them, still grinning, and the disciple next to Yang Yixuan squawked, jumping behind him. "WHY'RE THEY MAKING THAT FACE?? SO SCARY!!"

Yang Yixuan blew out a breath, shaking his head with a small smile. "Hey junior, your form wasn't too bad. Maybe we can exchange pointers once we return."

Y/n perked up. "Really?" Remembering he was their senior, they hurriedly bowed. "I mean—This junior would be extremely grateful!"

Yang Yixuan laughed, and the group continued on the path down the mountain.

"I heard today we're going to hunt RazorTooth Hedgehogs," Disciple A said.

...Y/n probably should learn their name, now that they thought about it.

And wait... razortooth WHAT NOW?

Y/n couldn't help the incredulous giggle that escaped them as they tried to imagine a bunch of hedgehogs with razor sharp teeth. Maybe it'd be like that one rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail—

"Y-Yixuan, they're making the face again..."

——-
a/n: sorry i cant figure out how italics work on mobile ajshdjs