Scene 2 - Cy Lunar Base 4

We then cut to Cy Lunar Base 4. A barren, rocky wasteland with nothing out beside the nightfall, with wind whistling at the navy blue-domed base. After showing this model shot, we cut inside to one of the corridors. A long thick passage with futuristic style walls, roofs, and floors. Grey steel walls with pipes running along them. This is combined with a red panel extended from the walls to allow circuits to flow along the ground and run alongside the walls. The lighting is dim. We get to see the cleaners dressed in fluorescent uniforms and gloves mopping the floor. Their trolleys with their cleaning tools and buckets are fitted onto them. Two women mop the corridors with soap and water. Their faces are hard and careless of their future and hopes. One of these women is Vanessa, before her video call. The other is a fatter woman, Margret, rotten and unpleasant. She speaks harshly and in an unfriendly manner. A camera watches the cleaners, unsettling Vanessa. We see hear a voice booming over, announcing a news bulletin. Vanessa is more distracted by the camera.

News Bulletin:

Attention all staff! Attention all staff! This is your latest news bulletin. The mystery behind the missing prisoners remains unanswered by the federal detectives. More investigations are currently underway, but experts have found no method to the prisoner's uninhibited presence. That is all the current news for this hour. Please stay informed of all further developments that may arise.

Vanessa:

Why does the camera have to keep watching us as we work I don't know.

Margret:

Hold your tongue, girl! You're paid to work. Aren't you?

They carry on. Vanessa's attitude worsens. We hear heavy footsteps thumping towards us. Big guards, armed with ammunition, lead a squad of prisoners across the base. Two lead at the front along the thick corridors. Two lead from each side, and four from the back. A number of vulgar criminals are being led through. They make a racket as they pass through. The women hear them from down the corridor.

Guard:

SHUT UP!

The guards are in sight, passing towards the cleaners. They take their things over to one side, leaving the wet floor for the prisoners to walk along. The noise persists. All of the prisoners are held with clamps around their wrists so they cannot attempt to escape. Each of them also wears red electric tags around their necks. The women watch. One of the loud prisoners is attracted by Vanessa. He stares at her and breaks line.

Etienne:

Hey, sexy! Gorgeous babe here.

The man jumps at Vanessa, trying to sexually rape her. He makes noises as the guards jump to it and grab him. Vanessa takes it well. She steps away for good and recovers from the shock. Etienne is electrocuted by his collar, stunning him as the guards come to overpower him. He wrestles with them as they drag him away. The other prisoners and guards continue their march. Another guard breaks off from the party to go to the women.

Guard 2:

I'm terribly sorry about that. That one is a pedo arsonist. He fancies the opposite sex a little too much. Especially when in here he's getting none of that.

Vanessa:

I could tell. Thanks for restraining him for me.

Guard 2:

No problem. You have to watch out for him. A cunning little devil. Manipulative. Sly. And downright weird. We will see that it doesn't happen again, Ms.

The guard then carries on, catching up with the group of prisoners.

Vanessa:

What a creep.

Margret:

They go a bit nutty in the head when they're locked up in this place.

Vanessa:

I can relate.

Margret:

Now don't you start! What did I just say about why the company are paying you?

We see from the window in the corridor the blowing gust of wind on the surface of the planet. A strange black figure from outside roams behind the wilderness. It approaches the base! In the meantime, the cleaners continue their work.

Enough weird things have already gone on in this hell house.

Vanessa:

What weird things?

Margret:

What weird things? Haven't you been hearing those news bulletins? Strange unidentified floating stuff around this place landing here? Unexplained missing prisoners unaccounted for? The company said they were going to check on about those landings and publish a full report so they can all put our minds at rest. My theory is that they find what really is the truth and then don't want us to find out. So they sweep it under the rug as usual.

Vanessa:

Just as a number of prisoners disappear.

Margret:

I could care less about them. So could the company. They all go missing when they're in their cells in the rest period. It's put the cat among the pigeons with them. Worrying that they might be the next to go. And the guards have found no possible trace of any breakout.

Vanessa:

It certainly does put the cat among the pigeons for the rest of us.

Margret:

Oh, I know. No one escapes correction. There's nowhere to escape to. Unless you want to live out there without a hope of living.

Vanessa:

We should take our chances out there I reckon.

Margret:

You just don't appreciate anything, do you? You should be grateful that you have employment, a roof over your head, and a source of food and drink. The company are more than generous to its staff.

Vanessa becomes sarcastic.

Vanessa:

Oh, praise the company.

The creepy figure from outside approaches the window...