Sixteen

"Who was that guy you were talking to at the grocery store?" Katie asked, fiddling with the wrapper on her long neck.

The three of us, Izabelle, Katie, and I, were hanging out at Shooters having a girl's night out, but I was distracted thinking about Kyle's surgery Monday morning. It took me a moment to realize who Katie was talking about.

"Oh, that's Jase, Kyle's friend. Why do you ask?" I smiled, knowing the answer.

"No reason. Just curious." I knew Katie well enough to know she was lying.

"I could introduce the two of you some time," I suggested, watching the faint color spread across her cheeks.

"Forget it." Izabelle shook her head. "She's too innocent for Jase. He's a player."

We shot questioning eyes to Izabelle and she explained. "Jase doesn't date. He has sex. You don't get involved with him unless you're looking for a one-night stand and no phone call the next day."

"Sounds fun. I'd like that." Katie lifted her chin in challenge. "He's hot, and he has soulful eyes."

Hearing that hurt. I know it wasn't what she really wanted, and I was afraid she'd find out too late. I wanted to say something, but I felt both of them watching me as if I was about to pull out my Bible. I'm sorry God. I wish I knew how to tell my friends how wonderful you are.

"What color are Jase's eyes?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Green," Katie and Izabelle announced at the same time.

They both turned to me, and I held my hands up in mock surrender. "Okay, they're green. I'll take your word for it." I didn't notice any other guy but Kyle.

"I thought eyes were what you first noticed about a guy. How did you not notice Jase's?" Izabelle asked. "He might be a player, but he's gorgeous. Even I noticed his eyes."

"Yeah, how could you not notice Jase's eyes, Lucy?" Katie teased. "Jase is almost as hot as Kyle."

Izabelle groaned. "Do not mention my brother and hot in the same sentence. You'll traumatize me."

We laughed.

Spotting someone she knew, Izabelle lifted her arm and waved. I was glad we'd changed the subject.

"Who's here?"

"Ava. Hey, I don't think she saw me. I'm going to go get her." Izabelle hopped off the stool and disappeared into the sea of people.

"Yay. Ava is here," Katie said in a joyless voice. "And we were just starting to have fun."

"Katie."

"Don't Katie me. You're happier than I've ever seen you. Ava and Izabelle are determined to sabotage that. If she keeps trying to steal your man, I'm not going to play nice."

"She's not trying to steal Kyle. Ava doesn't even know about us." I lifted the straw to my lips and took a syrupy sip of sweet tea.

"I don't know." Katie looked thoughtful.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I think she's jealous of you, which is understandable since you're more beautiful than she is--also smarter, and funnier and nicer."

Izabelle and Ava walked up to the table and I shot Katie a warning look, but she didn't see because she was glaring at Ava.

"Hi, Ava." I smiled.

"Hey, Ava," Katie added, shooting me a see how nice I was look.

The four of us sat and talked. Every now and then, one of us would get asked to dance, but whenever guys asked me, Katie would pipe up that she'd love to dance.