Mindspeak - Chapter 35

Voices entered my consciousness in hushed tones.

"She's going to be fine," a female voice said.

"You don't know that." Jack's voice was a bit raspy. "Why won't she wake up?"

"She will. It hasn't been that long."

"It's been almost two days." His voice sounded louder this time.

Two days?

"Why don't you go take a shower? I'll stay with her."

I recognized the voice. It was Georgia. The African-American girl with crazy eye shadow from the bar where Jack's band played. That seemed like a lifetime ago.

"No. I'm not leaving."

I felt a drop of warm moisture land on my hand. Jack sniffled loudly.

"I'm going to help with dinner. Everyone's going to be hungry." There was a long pause. Then, from further away, Georgia said, "Does she know?"

Know what?

Jack must have given her a look because she continued. "Does she know about Fred, Jonas, and me?"

"No. Never really got a chance to tell her."

I heard the sound of footsteps and a door closing. I willed my eyelids up. They were so heavy.

Jack scooped my hand into his. "I should have told you everything the minute I met you. Or when you figured out we were part of the cloning project." The weight of Jack's head pressed down on my hand. "I had so many chances to tell you everything. I thought running would be better for you."

I wiggled the fingers of my other hand. Then I tried my toes. I wanted to reach for Jack, but failed at lifting my hand. I wanted to tell him I forgave him. He was here now.

I would never let him push me away again.

"How can I tell you the rest now? After what you did for me?" Please wake up.

I am awake.

Jack lifted his head away from the hand he squeezed and gasped. "Open your eyes."

I'm trying. I can't. I'm so tired.

How are you feeling?

I've been better.

"Why did you do it? Why did you heal Addison?" he practically sobbed.

For you.

Jack sucked in a labored breath and let it out slowly. I thought you might die.

Is she okay?

"Seth is working on it," he said. "Hopefully, he'll get her moved before Cathy and others figure out what you did."

What do you mean? If Seth knew what I did, he'd be coming for me.

"Oh, Lexi. If they figure out that you have the powers they hoped you would have, they will stop at nothing to find you. I'm still not even completely sure who "they" is. But since Addison is still in a coma..."

We're safe for now? I didn't believe that for one second.

"I have to go back to Wellington." He laid his head on my chest.

No. I squeezed my eyes tight. Slowly, I was able to lift my hand and place it on his head. I ran my fingers through his hair. You can't.

"I was never supposed to leave. But I had to get you out."

My eyes fluttered open and I found his dark blue eyes with mine. I didn't want to argue with him. Not now. Not yet.