8. Xiunu Selection (2)

Photo of Nalan Chunxue, Noble Lady Shu.

Today was the day that the newly recruited palace maids would take the embroidery test. Since they were coming from outside they would most likely pass through the imperial gardens when coming in. It wouldn't be surprised if they encountered the Xiunus along the way.

In order to confirm her suspicions, Rongyin quietly instructed Mingyu to find out if the recruited palace maids had indeed come across the Xiunus and what had transpired between them.

Returning her attention back to the situation at hand, the next candidate was already being called out.

"Deputy minister Nalan yongshou's daughter, Nalan Chunxue. Age sixteen."

A cute and lovely looking girl stepped forward. She had beautiful round eyes and a sweet, cheerful smile, her countenance joyful and full of life.

Rongyin immediately recognized her. She had been one of the few Xiunus that had been selected in her last life and had been given the title of Noble Lady Shu.

Although this Noble Lady Shu had a cheerful countenance, behind the sweet face was a prideful and ambitious young lady. She had always been eager to rise above and flaunt her power to those she considered beneath her.

Because of her eagerness curry favor and earn the Emperor's favor, she had ended up eventually joining Noble Consort Gao's faction. She had been a her lackey and helped her carry out her evil deeds. One incident in particular, had chilled  Rongyin's heart, when she had a palace maid killed in a attempt to prove that Rongyin was a bad example to the harem to the Empress dowager.

Her little regards for life had made Rongyin unable to ever see her in a favourable light.

Now today once more she was standing before her, answering her questions excellently and winning his Majesty's approval.

"Why are you wearing three earrings?" the Emperor was asking.

"Replying to your Majesty, this servants father said that women wearing three earrings and elevated shoes are traditions passed down from our ancestors. If we were to abandon our traditions and mimic that Han women then it would mean that we have forgotten about our ancestry" Nalan Chunxue replied smartly and fluently.

Emperor Qianlong nodded, clearly pleased with her reply.

"Well said" he started "the Qing dynasty has entered the main land for a while now, the Manchurian traditions are slowly being forgotten. Zhen ordered them to study the Han language and learn their etiquette. Zhen didn't order them to forget who they are" finished, he turned to Eunuch Li and nodded.

Immediately understanding the signal, he announced "keep the tag!"

Stunned and elated, Nalan Chunxue smiled brightly. Struggling to rain in her emotions, she thank "thanking your Majesty" stood up and walked out, her aura exuding pride and happiness.

"Guanglu Temple's deputy head Lu Shilong's daughter, Lu Wanwan. Age sixteen"

At this time the Emperor had already stood up and was preparing to leave.

"Zhen still has some reports to review, so Zhen will leave now" he announced.

"But your Majesty, what of the Xiunus?" Rongyin asked, even though she already knew what he's answer would be.

"Huanghou, please handle it. Zhen believes in your judgement" he replied smiling warmly at her, he's eyes showed he's approval and trust in her.

Smiling back, she responded "then Chenqie will do her best"

Watching the departing silhouette of the Emperor, Noble Consort Gao who had been quiet for a while now also stood up and announced.