Chapter 7

A week before the beginning of Jacob's trial, Allison sat in the doctor's office waiting for the results, already knowing what the doctor was going to say. She was stupid, getting so involved with Andy without being safer. Now was the worst possible time for this. She watched the doctor enter the room, a smile on her face, telling her all she needed to know as she laid back, pulling up her shirt.

Allison winced slightly at the cold jelly the doctor squirted on her stomach before moving the wand around her stomach. The baby was just a blob, for now. A tiny blob with a tiny heartbeat.

"Baby is about 8 weeks it looks like. Does that sound right?"

Allison nodded, "yeah." She sighed, watching the doctor wipe off her stomach before printing off a small sonogram for her. She sat up, accepting the sonogram as she felt her heart sink to her stomach. She should be happy. Under any other circumstances, she would have been happy. Under any other circumstances, this would be a good thing. But now, she wasn't sure. Not like this. She zoned out the doctor, nodding and smiling politely as she stared at the tiny baby that inhabited her stomach. "Thanks."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laurie sat in the waiting room of the doctor, waiting for her normal check up when she saw Allison come out of the office. She didn't notice Laurie as she was looking down at the photo in her hand, a worried look on her face. She scoffed silently to herself, shaking her head as she watched Allison leave the office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Allison sat with Jacob in the Barber's kitchen, going over homework with him when she heard Laurie come home. Allison gave her a small smile before looking back at Jacob. She started to feel sick as she placed her hand on her stomach, "excuse me." She rushed to the lower level bathroom, quickly slamming the door before throwing up in the toilet. She groaned, rinsing her mouth out with some scope she found on the counter next to the sink before going to sit back next to Jacob.

"Are you okay? Are you sick?"

Allison blushed, slightly embarrassed at Laurie's question as she shook her head, "just ate some bad food I suspect. It's fine."

Before Laurie could say anything, they heard Andy enter the house, slamming the front door. Allison looked up at him as he entered the kitchen. She could tell he wanted to go to her, but looked at Laurie standing there.

Jacob sighed, "dad. What's the matter?"

He shook his head, "I had to go and see my father." He rested his hands on the counter, hanging his head as Laurie came to rub his back, trying to comfort him.

Allison saw Laurie watching her as she did, making her face turn hot with anger. She felt Jacob rest his hand on her arm as she looked at him, pulling her back to helping him, distracting her from Andy and Laurie. She saw him smile at her as she nodded.

Andy pulled away from Laurie, approaching the table as Jacob looked up at him. "What do you say we go fishing this weekend, just you and me?"

Jacob smiled, "yeah. I'd like that dad. Thanks."

Andy smiled at Jacob and then at Allison, giving her a small wink. "I'm gonna take a shower before dinner."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Allison knocked on the office door, hearing the 'come in' from the other side. She let out a long sigh before turning the knob to come face to face with him.

"Ms. Matthews. Long time, no see. To what do I owe this visit?"

Allison sighed as she looked at Neal. "I think you know that I'm tutoring Jacob Barber."

He shrugged, standing up from his desk, "yeah. So?"

She groaned, "why are you doing this Neal? You can't possibly think that Jacob killed that boy."

Neal scoffed, "it isn't about what I think, and I'm not doing anything but my job. Why are you so invested in this?"

"Because the Barbers are my friends? Because I feel bad for Jacob. You're going to ruin this kids life Neal."

He shook his head as he crossed his arms, "there's nothing I can do Allie. Here I was, hoping that this was a social call." He reached out, grabbing her hand to pull her to him as she pushed against him.

"Fuck off Neal! You know that isn't why I'm here. We've been over for a long time. And we're staying that way Neal."

He sighed, pushing her away, "fine then. Get out."

Allison opened Neal's door, coming face to face with Andy as she did. She groaned, "Andy." She reached for his hand but he pulled it away. "Andy wait, it isn't what you think."

Neal laughed, "now I see why you're so invested..."

She groaned as she watched Andy storm away from her. She wanted to run after him, but also didn't want to cause a scene in front of the entire DA's office, making things worse for Andy than they already were.