a moment of safety

~~~

~~~

A conversation between an armed teen boy and an armed night hunter. The hunter heard mumbling near the path by his house, armed himself, and approached the sound with caution until he came across a boy with a slouched head and a gun pointed directly at him.

~~

Hunter: Don't try anything funny. Put the gun down.

The boy sets the gun near his feet and puts his hands up. His eyes are red and wide, and he is shaking slightly.

???: I'm sorry.

His voice is hoarse and wavered, and he looks mentally disturbed. He has burn marks like spots on one arm. The hunter points his flashlight at a dirty, half-full bookbag.

Hunter: Anything dangerous in that?

The boy shakes his head with tight lips.

Hunter: You know what time it is? Where you are?

The boy shakes his head again with his hands still up, and he shifts his eyes from the rifle to the hunter's face.

???: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sorry.

Hunter: Ah man. You're alright. Wanted to make sure you aren't some killer on a spree or something. Believe me, I've seen some weird people in these woods.

The hunter lowers his rifle just enough but is still cautious.

Hunter: Mind if I sit next to you? I've oughta take a break before heading home anyway.

???: ... Sure.

The hunter takes his bag off his back, sits next to the boy, and sets his rifle aside. The boy puts his hands down. They sit together in silence for a while and listen to the sounds of the forest before the hunter speaks again.

Hunter: What'd you bring with you tonight?

???: [tapping his fingers] Um... A book, some trinkets... a few notes. My phone, a handheld... a lighter.

Hunter: Alright. What's the book's name?

???: Sacred.

Hunter: What's it about?

???: It's about... there's this girl who has to fight for this group of good people... But she has this demon inside of her, and she can't tell anyone.

Hunter: Sounds dramatic. Of course, she was found out, eh?

???: Yeah.

The boy lets out a quiet chuckle that sounded like it hurt, and he grows silent and looks down at the weapon near his feet.

Hunter: Hey now. What's going on in that head of yours?

The boy says nothing, tapping his fingers.

Hunter: You look like you're in a lot of pain. That true?

The boy tenses, and his mouth twitches slightly.

???: I'm just sitting out here.

Hunter: Looks to me like you were trying to off yourself.

The two are silent for a moment. Then the hunter reaches into his bag, takes out a sandwich, and breaks it in half.

Hunter: Here. You've probably been out here a while. You eat meat?

???: Yeah.

Hunter: Take it.