6. Mrs Jones

Elliot came and went from the room regularly. He didn't talk much. But every time he did it was something that made me want to laugh.

He was good company. And sometimes I could see him floating in the black with me. Smiling at me. Laughing while I laughed. Unlike the Kione guy, I could see Elliot's face, even though we'd never met before - at least I thought so.

Elliot didn't get many visitors, about as many as I did. Just the nurses and doctors. One day that changed though. A woman came in whilst he was out at an appointment and waited quietly for him.

"Mrs Jones. Elliot won't be back for another 20 minutes. You can wait in his room until he gets back." I heard nurse Ellie say.

Mrs Jones. Who was she? Elliot's mother? Why had she taken so long to visit him, maybe it was a teacher from school, I couldn't tell.

I heard Elliot walking down the hallway. "Palms up Ellie! Hit me with it!" I heard Ellie chuckle and high-five Elliot.

He returned to our room and his breath hitched. "Oh hey mum. Didn't see you there."

"Elliot. It's good to see you again, your father wouldn't let me visit. I'm so sorry" I heard the regret in her voice, maybe she had a good reason for not visiting.

"He still thinks it's your fault." Elliot sighed.

"I can't bring him to reason. He doesn't leave the office anymore. He won't look at me. I keep telling him there's nothing I could do, I'm just glad I noticed before it was too late." His mother rushed to speak, her hurried voice worried me. What was going on.

I was curious now. Why was Elliot here. Why did he have appointments constantly. Why did no one visit him.

He sighed again and I heard him move across the room. "It's okay mum. It's not your fault. Don't let him boss you around. I miss you." I imagined Elliot squeezing his mother in a tight hug.

"I missed you too. I'll try to visit more often, even if I have to lie about where I'm going." It sounded like she kissed him on the forehead. I couldn't be sure though. It was so quiet.

"Oh. I forgot to introduce you to my new roommate. Mum, this is Sophia, Sophia this is my mum."

"She's sleeping. Why don't you introduce us later when she's awake. Now I feel bad for talking in here, I wouldn't want to disturb her."

Elliot laughed.

"It's ok. It would be nice if she woke up actually. She's in a coma, mum. She won't just wake up from your voice."

"Oh."

It would be nice if I could though.

"Well. I don't know if you can hear me Sophia, but it was a pleasure to meet you." Elliot must take after his mother. Her kind words reminded of Elliot when he talked to me, but less cheeky.

"Anyways mum, how long can you stay? I'd love to catch up a bit more."

I decided to stop listening. It felt strange, intruding on their private conversation. Especially now that Mrs Jones knew I was here. Eves dropper.

I lay contentedly. The return of my friend the beep, and I focused on only that sound until I heard Elliot and his mother leave the room.

"Bye mum, come visit soon ok." Elliot smiled and waved (well in my imagination, obviously I couldn't see anything).

He came back into the room. "How much did you hear?" Not much, "everything! Sophia, you know that eves dropping isn't very nice." That's why I stopped listening idiot. "Ok, ok. I'll let you off with a warning this time. But if I catch you listening to my private conversations again you'll be in big trouble. You hear me!" He laughed.

"Ah well. Im gonna have a nap. Talk later ok."

And with that he walked over to his bed and drifted off to sleep. If Elliot was an animal he'd be a monkey I think, or maybe a dolphin. He's very cheeky and loves to laugh, but when he's not in a joking mood he's quite quiet, not moody, just quiet.

I think if I was awake we'd be great friends.

The best of friends.