Chapter Eight: Is She Really... Gone?

*TW: This chapter contains mentions of abuse, implied death and angst.*

A/N: YOU BETTER BUCKLE UP! THIS CHAPTER IS GONNA GET WILD!

     "Wait... WHAT?! YOU NEVER TOLD ME YOU HAD A BROTHER!!" Dark Cacao frowned indignantly. His face felt hot. What other secrets was Pure Vanilla hiding from him?

     "Well, maybe there was a good reason," said Vanilla Wafer, shrugging.

     "Maybe it's time we explained everything to you," Pure Vanilla said. "Come with me to the castle dining area."

-

     All three of them sat in cushy chairs near a stained glass window with cups of tea. Dark Cacao could see all the people down below; they looked miniscule.

     "Thank the Godly Makers the police let us in," Dark Cacao said. "It's quite the scene out there."

     "Okay, I think it's time I told you about this," Pure Vanilla said quietly, leaning forward. "But you have to promise not to tell anyone. I mean it."

     "I promise," Dark Cacao affirmed. "But please explain, why didn't you tell anyone you had a brother? Second, why doesn't he show up in any of your family history? I thought you were an only child!"

     Everybody was silent for a beat.

     "Alright, listen up, I think I can take things from here," said Vanilla Wafer.

     "You see, a long time ago, I was the first-born son of King Vanilla Yogurt Cookie and my stepmother, Queen Pudding Cookie, our parents. Ever since I was young I was trained to be strong and tough so I could rule the kingdom without worry. But no matter how hard I tried, it never seemed like I was good enough for my father. I remember the things he said...

[FLASHBACK]

     "Father, I did it! I was able to master the third fighting technique! Are you proud of me?" a young Vanilla Wafer said, holding out his arms.

     "What about the others? Have you mastered them all yet? Maybe, if you did, I'd be proud for once." King Vanilla Yogurt said coldly.

     "But..." The happiness went out of Vanilla Wafer's eyes. "It took me... months... to master this..."

     "Does it look like I CARE that it took you a long time?!"

      "...no," Vanilla Wafer sniffled.

     "EXACTLY! NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF MY SIGHT!!" Vanilla Yogurt shouted.

     Young Vanilla Wafer said nothing, just hung his head and left the room silently.

-

     "I did soon learn to master all of them," Vanilla Wafer said, leaning forward and gazing at Dark Cacao. "My dad was proud of me for the first time." Vanilla Wafer chuckled mirthlessly. "I didn't feel anything."

[FLASHBACK]

     "Vanilla Wafer, come here," said Queen Pudding. When he entered the room, he saw his stepmother holding something- no, someone, swaddled in a blanket. His father stood beside her.

     "I'd like to introduce you to your new baby sister, Vanilla Bean. We have some duties to attend to, so please take care of her for the time being," said the queen. She carefully handed the baby to Vanilla Wafer, then left the room with the king.

     Vanilla Wafer took the little bundle to his room and rocked her. Looking down at the little baby in his arms, he felt something warm and fuzzy in his chest. Vanilla Wafer laid her down on the bed, curling around her. She was very warm and it made him sleepy.