Chapter 29

Underneath the rotting abandoned building was lair of pure terror. As the men filed behind the mysterious vampire, their jaws dropped to the floor in disbelief. Human and vampire bodies hung from chains---some dead and some alive. There were bodies in giant test tube objects at various stages of life. Machines whirred around them, providing life to things they couldn't even begin to imagine. They probably should've turned back, but they felt inclined to see this through.

"Are you The Wizard?" Madara asked, far less confidently than he typically would. "A man from a peculiar club sent us here."

"Mm, yes, Kabuto informed me that I'd have some guests coming to meet me," he hummed. "Oh, and you can just call me Orochimaru. Only my darling little workers call me The Wizard. They idolize me and my work, I suppose."

He stopped at a table centered in the horrifying room. A pitcher and glass cups were displayed on top of it, along with beakers, tools, and papers. He began pouring each person in the room a glass of whatever substance that was inside.

"Have a drink," he smiled, handing each one a glass.

The men exchanged glances of distrust. They had learned their lesson from the last time someone offered them a drink.

"What's...in it?" Madara asked sheepishly, staring at the red liquid inside the cup.

Boisterous laughter erupted from Orochimaru that was nearly maniacal in sound. He seemed amused by their apprehension. They, on the other hand, stared at him with wide eyes. This man seemed completely unhinged.

"Do not fret," he assured. "It's just human's blood and nothing more. I do not partake in my own creations."

Tobirama and Hashirama immediately sat down their cups, uninterested in the taste of human life, while Madara and Izuna timidly sipped their drinks.

"Why do you create such things then?" Madara questioned. "You know, if you don't indulge in them yourself?"

"Science can be quite a thrill," he sighed. "The drink you consumed at the club was one of my first creations. It's amazing how addictive it is for people. All living beings are dependent on one thing---love."

"I wouldn't consider the things that occurred in that place to be love," Tobirama spoke up with a grimace.

"Oh, obviously not," Orochimaru snickered. "However, what you see when you drink it is love. The visions of your divine partner is intoxicating. A person can become quite a fool for someone they love. That's the interesting part for me."

He paused for a moment, and looked closely at Tobirama. The man of science knew something was different about him. A wicked smile spread wide on his lips.

"You're a halfling, aren't you?" he prompted. "Quite a rare sight to see a half-vampire walking around. I've yet to master creating my own little half-breed. I'd love to look at your genetics sometime---if you're brave enough for it."

Madara shifted Tobirama behind him in a protective motion with a stern look painted on his face. Despite their antics, he would never let a monster like this man lay a finger on anyone in their group. And that included Tobirama.

"We aren't here for that," Madara growled.

"Oh? Then please enlighten me on your reason for being here," he grinned.

"What is your business with Obito Uchiha?" Madara bluntly put.

Orochimaru took a long sip from his glass, pondering the right words to explain their relationship. He didn't appear phased nor frightened of Madara's intimidating aura. In a way, that made Orochimaru even more frightful. What kind of power did he hold?