Chapter 16

Sorry, Wattpad didn't save changes properly so I had to update the story again after publishing. The full chapter should be visible now.

Freed's POV

Laxus has a mate.

This thought has been repeating in my mind over and over again. I genuinely hope I'm his mate, however, it doesn't seem likely. Of course it isn't likely. Laxus is much closer to Mira and they've dated prior, no doubt he still is drawn to her. I shake my head and lay it down on the table where the Thunder Legion is sitting at.

"Yo Freed. You good?" I lift my head up after hearing Bixslow's voice. I smile at him before laying my head down again.

"Freed, did you eat breakfast or lunch? You can't skip out on those no matter what you say. And no, you won't be bothering Mira by doing so. She gets payed for it." Evergreen says as she sits next to me. I'm then pulled up straight, or as straight as possible with my gay ass, as I begin to relax again. However, before I can say anything my stomach growls and my face flushes.

"I'll go get us all some food then," Laxus gets up in response. It has me already missing the shared space we had but great full he's getting food.

"Well look at him, getting food for his team." Evergreen smirks.

"Family, Ever," I correct her. Laxus has been making better progress, very slow of course, at being comfortable in the guild.

"Sorry, sorry for insulting your boyfriend." My face goes red at that sentence.

"Ever!" I hear both her and Bixslow snicker. "He's not my boyfriend, plus he probably still has a thing for Mira." I rest my chin in the palm of my hand as I look over the railing to the bar where Laxus is getting food. An awkward silence ensues so I turn back to see Bixslow deadpan staring at me with the most 'are you fucking kidding me' face and Ever pinching the rim over her nose before doing a slow drag, face palm.

"I thought everyone knew this but apparently you are so in denial of having any chance of being with Laxus to notice," Ever says disappointedly. I give her a confused look before Bixslow flicks me on the head.

"Even prior to Laxus and Mira dating our angelic, demon barmaid has been simping over Titania before I even got here." Bixslow continues to poke my head as I digest this information. Wait, what.

"Then why date Laxus?" I ask.

"Heteronormativity? Denial? The possibility that the town she was first raised in was homophobic? Fear? Society's fucked up standard?" Ever continues to list some more reasons before she stops herself, "who the fuck knows?"

"Anyways the thing we are trying to get at is make some moves, maybe our residential Lightning-Dragonslayer is gay and we just don't know." Bixslow begins to play with his spirit dolls. I give them both deadpan looks, it's not that fucking simple, I smirk before standing up.

"I'll make some moves when you two start making moves on Elfman and Lisanna." I walk away quickly laughing as I can sense their fear ridden, astonished expressions behind me. When I finally get to the stairs to go down they finally react.

"AND GET OURSELVES KILLED?"

I begin to race down the stairs towards the bar, bumping into Lucy accidentally. Natsu got defensive on her behalf trying to pick a fight almost immediately, it's cute, even when Lucy flicks him on the head.

I get to the bar and hide behind Erza.

"What are you doing?"

"Help, I told Ever and Bix to face their fears and make moves on Elfman and Lisanna."

"Are you asking they get killed?" I stay silent after she says that when I feel a deadly energy that has both Erza and I shiver. I turn and face Mira, her smile sweet, her aura anything but sweet.

"Something about Evergreen and Bixslow making moves on my baby brother and sister?"

"Mira please," Laxus also looks scared as he tries to calm her, "Both Elfman and Lisanna are old enough to have a relationship."

"But what if they hurt them?"

"Mira, please. Bix and Ever are apart of Fairy Tail for a reason. They won't hurt them and if they do then I won't do anything to stop you." Laxus places his hand on Mira's shoulder. I frown at it, jealousy, I feel Erza's composure stiffen a bit. I look at her face to see her glaring at where Laxus has his hand on her shoulder...

...Am I just that blind to notice how Erza feels about Mira and vice-versa. Shit, Ever and Bix were right... I catch Laxus notice Erza's glare and remove his hand before he lost it. Mira sighs one more time before moving two 0lates over towards Laxus and I. Then she grabs the other two and starts her path to head up the stairs to Ever and Bixslow. It doesn't take a mastermind to guess what she's going to do.

"I should go after her," Erza says as she begins scurrying away and I whisper a good luck in her ear before she gets too far. I see her cheeks tint red but her eyes are just as focused on keeping two of her guild mates alive. I turn and grab my plate of food and sit down on a bar stool. Laxus sits down right next to me which makes my heart skip a beat.

The silence stays for a while, turning awkward once we are both finished eating. I look upstairs and see Mira in one of her Satan Souls as Erza holds her back physically. Ever and Bixslow are still dodging blasts of dark energy as they try to come downstairs. I hear Laxus mumble something under his breath and turn to face him. He looks up and meets my confused gaze.

"I told Mira they wouldn't hurt them," Laxus pouts. I laugh a little, his pout face is oddly cute.

"I think she's just over protective, she'll come around... hopefully." I glance back upstairs and see Mira not as angry but just as flustered as Erza is bear hugging her from behind.

"When do you think they'll finally get together?"

"I hope soon, especially if they have been like this since childhood." I turn back.

"You didn't know?"

"Nope. When did you find out?"

"The day we broke up, I was a dick and so was she but she still came crying to me about liking Erza."

"Why?"

"Other than they were rivals and it complicated things? Internalized homophobia."

"Oh." I lean my back on Laxus as my gaze once again returns to Mira and Erza as the barmaid is blushing while Erza is asking what's wrong.

"Hey Freed?"

"Yeah?" I look up trying to meet his gaze.

"How do you swing?" My eyes widen as I process what he just asked. I think for a second going over everything that defined me prior to this moment.

"..... I'm quite confident that I'm gay... Is that problematic."

"No, realized a lot of us have homosexual tendencies." He said tapping his fingers together. A moment more and it seems like he's about to speak again but I hear Lucy call my name. I look over at her as she's holding a library book with runes on its cover. I turn back to Laxus and ask him what he was going to say, but he only gives me a small smile and waves for me to go over to Lucy. I smile back and start heading over to her.

Laxus's POV

Dammit, I almost did it. Stupid feelings and this damned mating season. I do hope he's my mate, he's hit all the check boxes so far so it should be him... right?

I lay my head on the counter before I feel a pat on my head that was meant in a comforting manner. I look up to see Gramps who gives me a sympathetic smile before turning to his drink.