Breakaway - Chapter 1

Nicky tied up her hair, put on her lycra running top and exercise leggings. She put on her running trainers and made her way out of her hotel room. It was a spring day in New York, the weather was a perfect day to go running around Central Park and to take in the fresh early morning air before the hustle and bustle of the morning rush hour, before the workers of this large city earned their crust for their families.

Nicky had spent 10 days previously in New York and had 4 days left of her adventure. She was in New York by herself and had a strict routine of running every morning. It helped her wake up, and gave her a good start to the day. New York has been a place where she always wanted to go, as she had no one to rely on her or no dependencies she decided to take the opportunity to explore the part of the world she really wanted to go. She really liked the idea of a "city that never sleeps". Being from London, she was used to city life, used to the commuters and people that were always in a rush, people not talking to one another, noone holding doors open for her in the office. New York was the total opposite, although it was busy, people had time for you, they weren't in a rush, they were friendly. That's exactly what Nicky likes.

She made her way out of her big city hotel and walked towards her relaxation place which was about half a mile. She crossed the main busy road and walked down the pavement, or the sidewalk as the American's call it. There was a black gate which Nicky walked through, she pushed the heavy iron gate which revealed a natural beauty; Central Park. She smiled, smelled the air and made her way down the concrete steps. She made her way to a vacant bench in the park, sat down and tied her shoelaces in a double knot so that they wouldn't untie accidentally whilst she was running. She plugged in her earphones to her IPod and put on her usual motivating tunes. She put her Ipod into her holder on her arm and set her stopwatch.She had one last look at the beautiful surroundings, stood up and began stretching to warm up. She noticed an elderly couple walk past, so in love, walking past her hand in hand. There were other runners in the park doing their usual routine and an unruly group of men in the middle of the park playing football.

Although Nicky did not live in New York, she thought it was unusual for a group of lads, playing football that early in the morning. Playing football was also unusual in New York, there's usually a group of men throwing a ball about. She sat down back on the bench and observed for a bit. They were playing 4v4 using their tops as goalposts, she thought it was such a boy thing to do, like the ones who play on a Saturday afternoon with their friends at a park in the rural areas of London. She was still watching when one of the lads clocked her, Nicky didn't realise this. The lad talked his mates and pointed into the direction of Nicky, they gathered round as a crowd and started to walk towards her. She was fiddling with her Iphone at the time and looked up and saw 8 men walking towards her, she thought she recognised one of them, but quickly dismissed this as she was in New York, no-one would be there that she knew would they?

Nicky got up ready to go running to avoid the group of men that were starting to jog over to her, she gently pushed off with her right foot. "Hey" a big voice shouted. Nicky was listening to her Ipod, she hadn't heard this. One of the group ran to catch up with her and patted her on the shoulder. Nicky jumped out of her skin and guarded her face "Hey, sorry I didn't mean to make you jump" a smiling face said. Nicky looked up and took her headphones out of her ears and and her guarded hands away from her face, she didn't look at him "oh sorry, can I help you sir?" she asked in her London accent. "Wow, your English too?" he asked. She looked up "oh hey, yeah I'm English" Nicky said. "So did you like anything you saw?" the lad smiled. "What, what are you talking about?" she blushed. "I saw you looking" he laughed. The rest of the gang of lads arrived after catching up. Nicky was still looking at the chap who scared her "I just thought it was weird for a group of lads playing football at 7am". "Well as they say this is the city that never sleeps, sorry how rude of me I'm John". He put out his hand to shake, she looked at the rest of the lads and said "yeah I know I recognise you, your all part of Olly"s...." she said looking at each lad, the last person she saw was Olly. She started to get a bit embarrassed "band, yes that's right are you a fan" John laughed pushing Olly forward. "Erm I might be" she felt herself burning up. "So sorry I didn't catch your name" Olly said smiling. "Hi, oh yeh, erm I'm Nicola, but people call me Nicky". "Well it's nice to meet you Miss Nicola" John laughed. "Erm sorry, I know you probably get this often but can I get a picture...?" Nicky asked. "Sure no worries" Olly replied. She got out her Iphone and John took the picture, "lovely" he said. "Right I'll leave you guys to it, going to do my morning run, thank you was lovely meeting you all" Nicky said starting a gently jog of the spot. "Hey wait up, us guys could do with a run, can we join ya?" Olly asked nudging John and the others. "Well if you can keep up, sure" Nicky laughed.

They began their jog, Nicky led the group of lads. The lads had their usual banter, jogging along "hey, she's cute" John said to Olly. "She is hot, I might go up front and talk to her" he responded. Nicky who had her Ipod in didn't hear anything that was going on. Olly ran a bit quicker to catch up with Nicky. He eventually caught up with Nicky, she turned her head, he did too, they smiled and carried on their jog. They ran for a couple of miles around the park, Nicky could sense Olly was struggling "wanna stop?" she said catching her breath. He was struggling, "yeh is that ok? where are the rest of them, bloody lightweights". He sat on a grass verge and sat down to rest. "Oh well, we'll stay here so they can catch up" Nicky said. He agreed. There was a shack that was opened selling snacks and drinks, Olly looked over, Nicky saw this. "Want a water Olly?", "Er.." he said feeling his pockets for change. "It's ok, I got it" she went down to her trainer and pulled out 2 dollar bills. "Good place to hide" Olly laughed. "Well no pockets as you can see". Nicky made her way to the small shack, Olly lounged back at the grass looking at the natural beauty of the park. "Here" Nicky passed a bottle of water to him, "beautiful aint it, the best place in the world" Nicky said smiling. "So what you doing here Nicky, being in New York" he asked. "You know just a place where I have always wanted to go, so I just thought sod it". "Oh really? how long you been out here?" he questioned. "10 days, 4 to go, then its time to get my life on track" she laughed but continued, "yep its so nice running in the morning, sets you up for the day". "You run here every morning?" Olly was surprised. She nodded. "Well seems like your mates aint coming back, so come on, let's make our way back" Nicky said. They got up and gently jogged to where they originally started.

"Hey guys, where did ya go?" Olly shouted as he spotted them lazing in the morning sun. "Oh, you know it's too strenuous to do, you know it's so hot" John said. Nicky laughed "oh well, I'm going to leave you ladies to it then, nice to meet you all, ohh and good luck for the rest of your album and everything". "Ok, erm, see you around, thanks for the workout" Olly smiled. Nicky left the lads and made her way to her hotel room.

"So?" Darren asked, "So? what?" Olly said. "Well, she's hot, your single, 2 and 2?" John said. "Naa guys, she's nice, we just ran, where did you lot go, you had my money and she bought me a water, that's it" Olly defended himself. "You gotta admit tho, she's pretty fit though"John laughed. "Alright fellas, she's hot I said it, but it don't matter I'm not going to see her again am I?".