Breakaway - Chapter 10

Olly was hanging out at the studio, putting together the final tracks for his third album, he was having his usual banter with his band. A text message arrived on Olly's phone, he opened it up and smiled and replied "the guys are all coming round tonight to celebrate". A reply soon came "great, can you fill them in what happened? and see ya later x". "Who was that then, that's got you smiling?" Ben asked suspiciously. "Oh, it's just Nicky, she's got some good news, oh and you are all going round there tonight" Olly responded. "Oh are we now? luckily I haven't got any plans tonight" John laughed. "Yes, but I have, I can't go" Olly said with a suspicious look on his face. "Whhaatt? you can't go, she's supposed to be your friend, what are you doing then?" asked Ben as the band gathered round. "I got plans, plans erm with... Kelly...". "Kelly, your ex Kelly? The one that sold a story on you" Ben asked concerned. "Yeh, well I contacted her in New York and I'm well meeting up with her...", Olly looked down whilst replying. "Olly, are you right in the head" Ben asked aggressively. "Look Ben, I just want someone and she wants me...". "So your willing to settle then?" Darren asked. "Well, Nicky didn't want me so... anyway guys, you need to know something before you go to hers tonight".

The band gathered on the brown leather sofas, "right guys, you need to know this before you go round there, she wants you to know. Well, basically today she has been at court", "Court? for what?" Ben asked. "Well... she was in a relationship, and he hit her about but there was this one time that he put her in the hospital and she was pretty bad" Olly responded. "Wow, is she ok?" John asked. "Yes, she is now, he's been put away for 5 years so yeah that's why your all going round". "Ahh bless her, we'll make sure she has a good night" Darren said. "Cool, yes do she's had so much going on...", "Oh so that's what she meant that she had alot on and thats" Ben spoke under his breath and was thinking aloud. "Sorry Ben? what was you saying?", "Oh nothing, don't worry" Ben answered hoping for it to be brushed under the carpet. "No no, you had something to say now say it" Olly asked aggressively. Trying to come up with an excuse "erm well I asked her out in New York, but she said she had a lot going on". "Oh ok" he was gutted but couldn't really comment as he was back with his ex-girlfriend. "Hey Ben, maybe you could ask her out" John tried to lighten the subject. "Hey guys, don't tell her where I am, I wanna tell her in my own time" Olly said. "Well what we meant to say then?" Darren asked. "I dunno just tell her I'm doing an interview or something" Olly answered unconvincingly. "Well you better tell her soon, she's our friend too and I don't wanna lie to her" Ben said sternly. The band got up and made their plans for tonight and that they would meet round to Nicky's, Olly slightly felt out of the loop as the band were rallied round planning their night. He was meant to be excited at the prospect of plans with his new girlfriend, instead he was gutted as he really wanted to be elsewhere.

Nicky was finally free, she had a shower, poured herself a glass of pinot grigio, instead of drinking it for comfort she was drinking it to the prospect of what was to happen this evening. She was happy to be back with the people who she had fun with and who she classed as friends. She got dressed into her black lace dress, that cut over shoulders across her neck and came up slightly above her knee, she dressed this with her black tights and black stilettos. She curled her hair at the ends of her blow dried hair. She put her garage music on to really get her in the mood for a good night out. There was a knock on her door, she was half ready, she hadn't applied her make up yet and her hair wasn't near enough ready. She looked up her clock, they were early. She stood up and answered the door; it was Ben stood there "Hey Nic, sorry I'm early, the others will be round soon, mind if I come in?". "Sure Ben, come on in I'm not ready yet, help yourself to a glass of wine, or there's a beer in the fridge if you prefer" Nicky smiled. "Cheers, where do you keep your glasses, I'll join you in a glass of wine" he said manoeuvring into the kitchen. "Just in the cupboard by the cooker" Nicky said applying her mascara to her long lashes. He poured a glass for himself, placing the wine back in the fridge. He made his way over to the sofa where Nicky was, "cheers, here's to a good night" he places his glass up in the air and clinked her glass. "Have you eaten? Are we just going to the pub or something? I can put some pizza's in the oven for all of us" Nicky tried to be the hostess. "Nicky chill ok, yes pizza would be a good idea, I'm sure the guys will love it, just let me know I'll put them in the oven for you and you go finish getting ready". "Ok thanks" she replied walking into her bedroom.

Another knock at the door indicated that the rest of guys had arrived. "Right on cue, pizza's ready" Ben shouted with his oven mitts on. Nicky was ready, she went and answered the door "hey guys, come in, Ben's cooked pizza". "Ohhh I like the sound of that" Darren said walking in. "Hey hot girl, looking mighty fine" John said kissing Nicky's cheek. She laughed "well thanks I think, help yourself to wine or there's beer in the fridge". "Ah thanks Nic, and this pizza is certainly going down well" John said biting into a slice. "Ah well Ben cooked it" Nicky responded. "Yes, what's the craic there, you been here all afternoon?" Darren asked. "Nah, just got here a bit early and she weren't ready so..." Ben replied sipping his glass of wine. "Yes he just helped me out" Nicky winked. The pizza had gone down well "shouldn't we save some for Olly?" Nicky asked. The guys all looked at each other, "guys, what is it?" she asked. "Well, he aint coming, because.... erm" Ben tried to answer but couldn't lie. "He is doing an important interview with..erm an American magazine" John intervened. "Oh er...ok, no worries, I'm sure we will still have a good night" she tried to hide her disappointment. "Of course and it starts now, come on, lets go" John shouted.

They made their way to a busy pub in central London, and grabbed a table. Ben went up the bar with the help of Darren and John sat with Nicky and the rest of the other guys. There was generally banter and laughs like they were having in New York. "So Nic, are you having a good night? Olly told us what happened and why we are out tonight" John asked. "Yes, don't worry I always have fun with you guys don't worry" she replied. Ben and Darren made their way over to the table with a tray full of drinks and with every drink there was a shot of sambuca with it. "Let's get this party started" John stood up. "Hell yeh, fuck that fucker who screwed me over and got what he had coming to him" Nicky stood up. They all stood up with their shot glasses and shouted "1, 2, 3", they downed them in one. "Right, my round" Nicky stood up looking in her bag. "No no Nicky, this night is on us and we wont hear anything" Ben said. "Right another shot then" Darren said. Ben moved closer to Nicky, "hey, you ok babe?. "Yeah course I am, a bit gutted you know Olly couldn't come out but I guess he's gotta job to do" she responded whilst sipping on her drink. "Yes I guess he does" he replied unconvincingly. "You alright Ben?" she asked. "Yeah, I guess so, you know me, I go with the flow I am everyone's friend". "What's that meant to mean? she asked puzzled. "Not now, I'll tell you later", "Ok, well if you need me you know I'm here, give me your phone" he passed her his phone and began entering her number. "What you doing?" he asked. "Giving you my number, if you need anything, I mean it give me a call ok" she said smiling. "Ah ok thanks". That made him feel even more guilty, hiding the secret. Darren came over with a repeat order of drinks with another shot. They all continued having laughs and banter throughout the night going from pub to pub.

Nicky sat down in a booth of a nightclub, which she didn't know the name of. The band were on the dance floor somewhere but she couldn't stand up anymore, her feet ached from dancing and standing up in bars and her stilettos had really got to her. She took her phone out of her bag, flicked it on light to see if she had any messages, she had nothing. A voice whispered in her ear "your disappointed aren't you?". Her eyes led to the voice, it was Ben, she gave a puzzled look "Oh hey Ben, disappointed no, I've had a really fun night out, my feet just hurt" she slurred. He lent over and whispered in her ear "he doesn't know what he is missing" he winked at her. She smiled and her eyes rolled back "oh well, his loss I guess, but his interview is more important, right I'm gonna go..." she stood up and fell back into her seat slightly landing on Ben's lap. She giggled "Ohh erm I'm sorry", "no worries, here let me help you get home" he took her hand and placed his hand round her neck to support her. The rest of the band came over, "hey guys, Ben's going to help me get home, are you coming, you can all crash at mine, I'll make you brekkie in the morning" Nicky shouted. They all looked at each other "yeah why not, mini sleepover" John laughed. They all made their way out of the nightclub and flagged down a taxi to Nicky's house. Nicky got to her house and passed out on her bed, Ben took her shoes off and put her under her covers. He looked at her and smiled and closed the door behind him.

The guys were in the living room, settling down and talking about their night out. "You could tell she was disappointed" John said quietly. "Yep she's going to be hurt when she find out" Darren agreed. Ben made his way into the living room "she's out for the count now bless her". "We were just saying that she was gutted Olly weren't here" Darren said. "I reckon so, but he needs to tell her soon, I can't keep lying to her, she's too sweet" Ben smiled. "Ben... you can't, don't fall for Olly's girl" John said. "Olly's back with Kelly and Nicky only has eye's for Olly anyway" Ben denied. The guys found places to sleep on the sofas and the bedroom floor.