Breakaway - Chapter 17

The final chapter peeps, I hope you enjoy!

It was the day of the Marathon, Nicky was scared, not of the marathon but of the decision she had to make. They were both her friends and she would know she would break one of their hearts. This was to be the most singularly hard decision she ever had to make, it was most probably going to affect her for the rest of her life, she could potentially spend her life with this person. She decided to spend the morning by herself to psyche herself up, going for a walk early morning.

She made her way to the start line of the New York Marathon, there were thousands of people there, she reported in to the race marshals. She stripped off her tack suit to reveal her charity vest and lycra leggings. Her number was 26682.

It was 9am in the morning, Nicky was waiting for the gun to fire so that they could get started "bang!" Nicky started off on a gentle jog, she couldn't get past the crowd anyway, so she spoke to the person next to her, a Texan middle aged woman called Mindy "hey honey, you look like you've got a lot on our mind" Mindy said." Is it that obvious?" Nicky laughed. "'fraid so, anything I can help with?". "Nicky laughed, "well how are you with making a decision between 2 guys that you love". " Go with your heart, honey" she said."Thanks, I'll have a think about it, I mean Ben is loyal, we have fun together, he adores me and loves me, and with Olly its the chemistry, we could talk forever, he doesn't judge and physically we have this connection" Nicky replied. "Go with your heart" she said again. Nicky was at a great pace, Mindy told her to go on ahead and follow her dreams. She was running by herself, and she kept thinking about what Mindy had said; follow your heart. Those words had set the pace, it was like a drum beat in her head. Follow your heart, follow your heart. She stopped suddenly, she made her decision And she was going to run as fast as she could to tell him. All through the race she had the name in her head and that kept her motivated. She saw a sign for a mile to go, she upped her pace and somewhat tried to sprint to that finish line. She wanted to tell the guy how she felt.

The guys were at the finish line, checking out the people finishing and looking out for Nicky. " There she is" Darren shouted. They all shouted and cheered clapping their hands, a smile appeared on Nicky's face she was nearly there. Then it dawned on her, she had to make the decision. She slowed down trying to put off the inevitable, but she had to finish sometime. She finished the marathon.

The guys gathered round her as she tried to catch her breath, she bent over and took in a few breaths and had some water. "Well done babes" Ben hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. The rest of the guys hugged her "you did so well" John shouted and hugged her he whispered in her ear " have you made your decision yet mate?". She nodded. Last to hug her was Olly " Can I have a word" Nicky whispered in his ear. He nodded slightly puzzled as he wanted to talk to her too.

They slipped over to a cafe nearby and sat on the outside seats without the guys noticing. "So Olly, your probably wondering why I asked to talk to you" Nicky said. " It's weird because I wanted to talk to you too" he replied. " You know your my friend don't you" she said. " Of course, except when i was a dick and cut you out of my life" he replied smiling. "Olly, that's all forgotten even you have made up for all that sorting out this trip for you and the guys to come and support me". He nodded unconvincely " well thats not..." he tried to tell the truth. She had tears in her eyes and a single drop fell, he looked at her " babe what's up? Come here" he opened his arms up and she nestled into his chest, she could feel his heart beating hard and fast. " I've got myself into a situation" she said. Still nestled into his arms his eyes started to well up, he wiped his eyes with his thumb and his index finger. He kissed her forehead and looked up and saw that Ben had clocked them into their warm embrace, Ben couldn't deny their closeness and connection any longer he knew he had lost the girl of his dreams. Olly saw Ben place his head down, he said goodbye to the guys and walked his way back to the hotel. Olly looked at Nicky, wiping her eyes with his thumbs, held his hands in her face. " Choose Ben". She looked puzzled, how did he know, she didn't have to say anything " he told me what he asked you". "What really?" she replied still reeling. " He adores you, worships the ground you walk on, you know he will treat you right, he's always been there for you. He's the one that organised all this, New York, everything" he said unselfishly. "And you?" she asked. He took her hand "Nic, I'm always going to be your friend, I'll be ok you know me, I'll bounce back". "But I, I lo...", he placed his finger over her mouth "shhhh". He knew if she said those words, he would have to too and that's how he genuinely felt. "Don't make it harder babe, just go and get him". She got up, willing him to tell her to stop walking but didn't, he let her go, that made Nicky's decision easier. Olly never fought for her.

"Ben, Ben wait up" a distant female voice shouted. He was outside the hotel, he turned around. " Blimey, I have just run 26 odd miles and your making me run after you". He laughed. "Where did you go, we are all going to celebrate" she said. He feigned an excuse "I've just got a bad headache". " Ohhh, I won't keep you then, just to let you know I've made a decision" she smiled. "Ok" his optimism disintegrated after seeing her and Olly together, he was doubtful of a happy ending. She walked closer to him "you said you love me? And that you'll always be there for me?" he nodded. She smiled "well you wanna know my answer?". She leaned into his cold lips and touched them softly warming them up, she began kissing him passionately. He came out of the embrace " what, but I thought?", " you thought wrong mister, I love you Ben,"she looked into his eyes. He could tell something wasn't right from her eyes, but he won the girl of his dreams and went along with the flow.

There were cheers from a group lads, they looked over smiling, it was the guys, Olly was behind putting on a fake smile and clapped. Ben scooped up Nicky to carry her " right guys, we will be an hour", " more like quarter of an hour" she laughed. " Oi you, come on" Ben said. She took a look over Ben's shoulder as he carried her. Olly looked down, he wiped a tear from his eye, she caught his glance and winked at him.

************************************************************************************************************************

Ok well thats it, I hope you enjoyed it.

Feedback is welcome and votes appreciated. I want to get to know my readers better so let me know who you are and follow me at twitter @nicoleheathcote

I also want to thank a really good friend who has help me edit and helped me out with this story, Laura

Ohhhh and there's a surprise, waiit for it...............

I'm currently in the middle of writing a sequel for this more details coming soon, so become a fan, follow me on twitter to find it out first.