Part 2

'The key to fashion really is the face.'

Roksu Henituse looked at her reflection thoughtfully after the maids had finished dolling her up, the glamorous and heavy clothes not really appealing to her tastes but acknowledging that with a face like hers, she could probably make anything look good.

It was the second day after arriving in this terrible novel and Roksu had already decided to accept a few things with more ease than most people ought to.

She'd surrendered her old gender and name with ease, not having any particular attachment to either, and accepted this new place as her home for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps it was something to do with how ever changing Kim Rok Soo's life had been but she just didn't have the time in her head to spend bemoaning all the changes. It was still a bit new and weird to consider herself a 'her' but Roksu figured it would only complicate things down the line if she clung to things like pronouns.

Besides, she was a very pretty girl. If Kim Rok Soo was going to become a girl, it was satisfying that she was a drop dead gorgeous girl.

Roksu had also embraced her new future prospects. Namely that her plans to become a slacker could really be possible in her current circumstances. So long as Cale didn't slit her throat for being an imposter, she had a very cushy life ahead of her.

Her position in the household was ideal. Apparently 'Roksu Henituse' was a sickly young lady who rarely left the estate. She had no power, no ambition, and she was widely considered to be a failure. Along with her sister, the Henituse twins were considered the irrefutable garbage of the count's otherwise prestigious family.

Being trash was a freeing notion.

No one would expect anything of her and she could spend her days lazing about.

The only hurdle was Cale.

'She's really a scary person.' Roksu shuddered at the memory of the sharp knife placed against her neck while piercing brown eyes glared holes into her skull. The incongruence with the Cale that Roksu had read about was concerning too.

But that should be fine. Roksu had a few plans in the works to ensure that she was able to live a long and comfortable life.

Resting against the window sill in her spacious room, Roksu looked out onto the gardens below with a peaceful feeling overtaking her.

She was going to ask the count for some money today but until that time, she was enjoying a restful moment. The spring weather was warm and welcoming against her pale skin.

Movement caught her attention and she noticed the happy family in the garden. Count Deruth, his wife, and two of his children.

Roksu quirked a smile at the sight. They were a handsome looking family. They certainly enjoyed each other's company plenty to be taking a morning stroll together before breakfast.

She could hear distant sounds of the happy family and she thought it was nice.

Not wanting to spy on them, she almost moved away from the sill.

That was when she spotted her.

She wasn't crying.

For a moment, Roksu was sure that she should see tears welling up in her eyes but the resolute profile of Cale Henituse had no hint of tears.

Perhaps resolute wasn't the word.

She looked resigned.

Her gaze didn't leave the sight of her happy family for a long while, despite the fact that none of them took notice of her, she didn't look resentful in the least.