Simplest Things

Levi and Hanji were on the school rooftop. At 2 am. Just stargazing. They did this whenever they could, because where they lived had such beautiful stars. Sadly it was always cloudy, but that night was such a clear sky and they couldn't pass this up.

During their peaceful times alone together, like this. They rarely spoke. Only looked up at the sky and reveled in the calm and soothingness. These were the only times Hanji would shut up and calm down, in this crazy hectic highschool life.

Levi lay down next to Hanji ,the roof being on just the right angle gave them a perfect view of the starry night above. All you could see was the horizon and up.

Hanji's head lolled back and forth from going close to Levi to away from him. Finally she gave up, and rested her head on his shoulder not saying anything. Levi looked to his right at Hanji but she never took her eyes off the sky.

Another thing that they always did was, whenever they go up to the rooftop to stargaze they never bring a camera. To you, that might seem stupid but to them it made perfect sense.

If you were to take a picture of something you intend to keep it so you remember that moment, right? Well, if you take a picture of it, it never seems as good as that exact moment before the picture. It ends up looking distorted in a sort. Well, the pair believe that there are some things you can't just document it down. They need to be seen, felt, experienced. Our memory is the best moment capturer that will never be replaced. Or at least in their opinion.

"Levi?" Hanji asked, not once letting her gaze waver from the mesmerizing sight.

"Yes, Hanji?"

"The world is a pretty bad place."

"Yeah..."

"With bad people and bad memories."

"Uh-huh...."

"But, you know what I realized?"

"That today is a Sunday and we have school tomorrow?"

"No, doofus." She nudged his head with hers.

"Then, what then?",

"Sometimes the simplest and most insignificant things are the most beautiful."

"That was pretty deep. How long did it take you to think of that?

She nudged him again, harder this time and smiled. Not saying anything after that just staying silent.

She placed her head back on his shoulder and sighed. Levi feeling very confident, and honestly not caring anymore decided to take one step further.

He pulled her closer to him, so their sides were pressed together, and put an arm around her shoulder. Her head rested on his shoulder once more, and she let out a sigh of relief.

Tu sei il mio soldatino.

Her words rang through the air.

La ragoine per cui vivo.

Her sweet singing voice filling the night sky, and to Levi it made the stars brighten up a bit.

Non ti scordar di me.

Levi closed his eyes paying attention to the foreign language. This was what she sang him every night when she was sleeping over at his house. Her own lullaby her mother used to sing to her. Passing it down from generation to generation.

Io vegliero su di te.

Over and over she sang that one part. The most important part.

You're my little soldier.
The reason that I live.
Don't forget me.
I am watching over you.

As the words rang through his ears he realized something himself too.

That this simple and insignificant little thing was, in this moment, the most beautiful thing he has ever lay eyes on. And nothing was ever going to change his mind.

Those were his last thoughts as he drifted into a dreamless sleep with Hanji asleep by his side with him.

No one will ever be able to capture this moment in a picture. But it will be one of the many memories they have.

I'm proud of this. -Miss