x8 - Carter

Joanie and I finally make our way back home after helping the boys clean the house, leaving it pristine for Bryce's parents to have no clue that there was a rager less than ten hours ago happening in their living room. God, I really hope that wasn't his parent's room that we were in last night. I walk out of my room in a pair of gray sweatpants and a blue tank top, lemon water in one hand and my phone in the other. I take a seat next to Joanie, burying my face into the cushions.

"No ma'am, no time for sleeping right now. Spill. Who the FUCK was that stud?" I peek at her between the pillows, "Didn't you hear your 'future Jack Hughes?' That's Maty Lang. Well, Mat Langston. He's the left wing on the team, the one who almost knocked me out with the puck yesterday." Realization fills Joanie's face, her jaw practically hitting the floor, "That's Puck Boy? Girl! You got a hot one!"

My face burns as I begin to rethink the occurrences of last night, remembering every kiss Mat planted on me and the feeling of his hands perusing my body. "He's so nice on top of it, like not even a douche. He actually cared." Joanie places a hand on my shoulder, "After being friends with you for so long, it's honestly nice to see that you didn't just have a one night stand with some lame ass player. Though, you literally knew him for less than a day, new record for you!" I lift my head from the pillows, my jaw dropping, "Joanie! That was a low blow for you. He's actually really sweet, asked for consent and everything."

"Okay then why aren't you texting him right now? He's probably all hard thinkin' about you this morning. You're probably all he is thinking about right now." I laugh, grabbing my phone, "I mean he's definitely all that's in my head right now, but no. I'm not going to be that eager girl who's going to text first. If he wants something more, he'll reach out to me. Or maybe we'll just be close co-workers, in a weird 'player-social media coordinator' kind of way." I shrug my shoulders, taking a sip of my water as I open up my messages between Mat and I.

"I mean, he did text me Let me know when you get home safe with a smiley, so I don't know." Joanie rips my phone out of my hands, "What do you mean you don't know? You didn't tell him when you got home? Carter, text him back!" She starts to aggressively type a message. "Joanie no, you're going to type something so desperate, no." Joanie tilts the phone towards me so I can see what she's typing.

Message to Mat Langston: hey! i got home and i just wanted to say i had a great time last night. i really loved getting close to you and would love to hang out again...

She continues to type as I'm trying to grab the phone out of her hands, "Joanie, give me my phone back, I'm not sending something like that." I get a grasp on the phone and hear the swoosh of the message. We look at each other, worry filling our eyes and our mouths gaped. Oh my god. I don't know if I'm going to kill her or myself.