𝐼 𝐻𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝐿𝒾𝓋𝑒𝒹 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒴𝑜𝓊

The timeline of this one shot is mid 1930s.

<><><><><><><><><>

The lamp that illuminates this dark room reminds me of you. You used to light up my dark world just like this. I remember how you would hold me close in your embrace. When I'd break down in tears, you'd wipe them away. You would hold my hand tightly in yours erasing my fears and telling me that yes, together we can fight.

Without you, I'm nothing but a broken glass. When someone tries to put me back together, I end up piercing them with my sharp words. I may be put back to my usual form but the cracks will never disappear.

Please come back, Bondita.
Please come back.
I need you, more than life and more than death.

I don't even have the courage to face death without you being there.

Come back to me, Love.

With Love
Your Pati Babu

Anirudh closed the diary as he finished writing. Fresh tears rolled down his cheek, glistening as they were marked on his skin.

He sat in the dimly lit room, with a lamp flickering on the table. It was the only thing that illuminated the dark room. Taking off his spectacles, he wiped his tears off with the edge of his thumb. He looked around the room and saw his five years old daughter, his Anidita, sleeping soundly on the bed. He lived for her.

He got up and stood by the window which was left ajar. The white curtains that symbolised peace were mocking his misery as these inanimate objects were aware of the storm going on inside his heart. They teased him with the way they brushed on his face.

A strong wind blew the lamp off. The surroundings went dark again, dragging him down in despair.

He just stood by the window, thinking about all the possibilities. He thought about all the ways which could help him find his Bondita, his wife.

Alas! It was dark all around.

Tere liye hum hain jiye, honthon ko siye
Tere liye hum hain jiye, har aansoo piye
Dil mein magar jalte rahe, chaahat ke diye
Tere liye, tere liye

--------

The mornings in Delhi were never pleasant, they were chilly. Anirudh sat by the window, in his white kurta. A dusky brown shawl was wrapped around his body keeping him warm.

He looked down at the crooked photo he had on his lap.

"Bondita.." he whispered, a lone tear rolling down his eyes.

He then looked at the baby she held in her arms whilst smiling. He was his son, Shyam. His heart was heavy with all the memories they had left behind.

The phone placed on the table on his right side rang, jerking him out of his thoughts. He immediately picked the receiver and whispered," Hello? Did you find something?"

"No, we're still trying. Anirudh, we have little hope and that too is slipping away slowly as the days are passing." Girish sighed from the other end.

"We have to keep trying till we find her." Anirudh's voice trembled as he said those words.

"It's been four years! There's no sign of her..Anirudh I understand your plight but sometimes we just need to accept the reality and move on. A lot of people were killed in those Calcutta riots. It's fortunate that you boarded a train to Delhi with your daughter." said Girish, in a calm voice.