Chapter Three

Espresso was surprised at the question. Madeleine, who he just met a day ago- and was probably well known enough to be considered famous.

He noticed the man waiting for an answer. He didn't want to seem rude. "Ah...it's Espresso.." He said, almost whispering.

Madeleine smiled. 'Espresso,' he thought, 'What a pretty name.' The mentioned man cut his thoughts off, asking for the blonde's own name.

This shouldn't have surprised Madeleine as much as it did. He was so used to people knowing him. But yet this particular, short(er) man, Madeleine knew, seemed to be different from any other person he's met. In a way, it was refreshing.

"Well, Espresso, it's nice to meet you!" Madeleine said, before giving his own name.

"My name is Madeleine," He smiled.

"Ah, hold on-" Espresso said, confusing the model. He went back to where Madeleine assumed everything was made, and a few minutes later, came out holding two drinks, giving one to Madeleine.

"Oh!" Madeleine exclaimed, holding the drink- a freshly brewed latte. "Thank you, Espresso!" Espresso just nodded, before taking a sip of his own drink.

They sat in silence, both unsure of what to say.

"So... you're... famous." Espresso finally spoke, breaking the silence.

Madeleine replied, "Um, yes, I am, I suppose..." Ah, god, this really wasn't going anywhere, was it?

Their conversation, if they could call it that, was interrupted by the bell on the door. Espresso sighed, and went behind the counter.

"Hello, welcome to Gingerbucks. What can I get you?" Espresso repeated the normal phrase, recognizing the customer as Almond Cookie, the detective-in-training. (He was also his sister's boyfriend, but Latte hadn't told Espresso that yet, so the barista stayed quiet about it.)

Almond greeted him, the detective starting a conversation with Espresso. The barista made small talk back.

Almond swore he could feel eyes piercing the back of his head, but he made no comment.

Espresso returned with his order, and the officer left the building.

Madeleine said his goodbyes to Espresso, promising to see him tomorrow. Espresso nodded, unsure of why the model was so intent on interacting with him. He was nothing special, and Madeleine was, well, Madeleine.

—————

Madeleine would not consider himself a jealous person. But something about the customer he just.. didn't like. His first thought, which is not true , okay , was that it was because he talked to Espresso so easily . Madeleine wanted that, too. He wouldn't dislike someone because of something silly like that!

He blamed it on baseless paranoia. That guy was nothing to worry about, Madeleine concluded. And with that worry out of his mind, he thought about seeing Espresso tomorrow.