5

Frances was rescued by Elizabeth, thank God, and hurried up the stairs to get sunlight and fresh air. She'd only been deprived of it for a day, but you learn to miss it when you sleep in a prison cell. Her reunion with Elizabeth was a touching one, but the Commodore was less than pleased. Elizabeth had bargained for Frances's freedom (at least for the time being). The downside: everyone on the ship now knew Frances's secret, and she'd never live it down. She'd return home, and every man she'd meet would ask, "Aren't you the woman who snuck onto the Interceptor to capture that pirate?"

Frances sat down on a crate, sighing loudly. It wasn't long before a few sailors came over to her.

"So, Miss Groves. You're a tricky one, you know that?"

Frances didn't answer. The men didn't take the hint.

"I can't believe we didn't notice you sooner. I know you're supposed to be locked up and all, but if you ever want some company down in that cell of yours, we're right here." The man that had spoken was younger than the others, but not young enough. He raised his eyebrows, smiling crudely.

Frances rolled her eyes and left without giving them a second glance. She wondered if Elizabeth was undergoing the same amount of disrespect.

She began wandering around the deck, but it felt odd to not have to work. She found her brother and stood quietly next to him. He was leaning against the rail of the ship. Before she could open her mouth to speak, Theodore gave her a pointed look. She stayed quiet. He was still mad.

The two Groves siblings stood next to each other, facing the open sea. It was another few minutes before Theodore broke the silence.

"How did you stay undercover that long? And to think most of these men have known you your whole life," He let out a short laugh of disbelief.

"I'm not a stupid little girl, Theodore. I can do things," Frances frowned and turned away from her brother. "And I can't believe Elizabeth was the one to get me out. All because you couldn't stand up to the Commodore. You couldn't stand up for your sister."

"I couldn't exactly ask him to marry me, Frankie." Theodore rolled his eyes.

"What?" Frances whipped back to look at her brother, her mess of a braid swinging over her shoulder. "What does that have to... What do you mean?"

He paused, glancing around.

"Tell me this instant, Theodore."

"I thought you knew," He said apologetically.

"Well, I didn't," She stormed away.

Theodore dropped his head down into his hands, resting his elbows on the railing.

Meanwhile, Frances was trying to decide whether or not to speak to Elizabeth. She wanted to know the truth to Theodore's comment, but she didn't want her thoughts to be confirmed. Unfortunately, Elizabeth found her first. She swept Frances into a hug.

"Oh, Frankie, I am so sorry."

There it was.

Frances hugged her back. Elizabeth buried her head into the girl's shoulder. "I had to accept, you must know that. I know how you feel about him, but I couldn't let you stay in that cell." Her voice was muffled.

"It's okay, Elizabeth. Do not worry about me, you're engaged to a Commodore. You should be proud, excited." Frances couldn't keep her voice as optimistic as she had hoped. Elizabeth kissed her cheek, bidding her goodbye and heading to the Captain's quarters that she'd been granted to sleep in. Frances still had to sleep in the cell, as a 'criminal' and all. Elizabeth had bought her free reign, but not enough for a real bed. Besides, it was inappropriate for Frances to remain in her hammock in the belowdecks with the men.