chapter nine

"Elizabeth! Wake up!" I feel someone shaking my body, a vague voice sounding from above me. I tiredly open my eyes, only to find Liam ducked in the tent, half of his body hovering above mine. Confused about this whole situation, I let him drag me out of our tent. The night air hits me like a cold shower, sending a shiver down my spine. He pulls me against him as his back crashes against one of the many surrounding trees.

"What the fuck is happeni-" I whisper shout but my voice gets muffled by Liam pressing a hand over my mouth. It quickly gets to me that I'm once again in the same situation as a few days ago. Someone probably spotted our camp and now wants to kill us all. What else could've happend. Now that I think about it, there's no way we wouldn't get spotted. We are with way too many for this.

I purse my lips into a line and force my eyes shut, nearly pushing Liam through the tree if that would be a possible thing to do.

A flashlight passes the two of us, instead, it lands on Niall, who's dramatically pulling his chin to his chest, clutching onto a knife by his stomach, probably ready to stab whoever is holding the flashlight.

As the person gets closer, lighting up more of the woods, I spot Harry and Luke both hiding behind different trees. Much not to my surprise, Harry's holding a gun by his side, as well as Luke. I'm starting to think Liam must have either a gun or a knife with him, too, or he'd be the only person without something to defend himself with. We're also the closest target.

Hearing branches break from behind me, signalling whoever is coming is getting closer, I force my head sideways, pressing the left side of my face against Liam's chest. I spot Louis hiding behind a tree next to us. When the stranger comes to stand next to us, Luke jumps from behind his tree in front of us, before the man could even get to us. Liam quickly pulls me with him as he takes a few steps aside. Luke forcefully shoves the man against the tree I was hiding behind, pressing his gun to the man's temple.

His hand gazes down and manages to grab the flashlight and point it right at the man's face.

Luke suddenly sighs and pulls back, "fucking he'll Ash! You scared the fuck out of us" He shoves him and cracks a very slight laugh. Everyone almost instantly reappear from their hiding behind a tree, all letting out a deep exhale. Liam's firm grip on me loosens and he quickly rubs me over my arm before taking me with him closer to the group.

"What?- I'm not the one to decide to go fucking camping in the woods with two tents and a teared down campfire, which, by the way, still smokes like crazy" the man speaks, offended. The flashlight reveals his dyed red hair and outlines his features perfectly.

Luke lowers the flashlight and pulls the guy in for a quick hug, "God, Ashton, you're such a dick sometimes" He chuckles before pulling away. Everyone suddenly starts talking, patting Ashton on the shoulder. It's hard for me to follow the conversation that's going on, considering it feels like my mind is about to shut down any seconds due to lack of sleep. My leg's, as well, feel like giving out soon.

"I'm probably gonna go back to sleep" I state after having properly met Ashton in a very short amount of time. Luke said he was one of his high-school friends who went with him to work undercover at the SI.

Almost reaching my tent, I feel someone grab my arm and turn my around. Pointing the flashlight at my face, is Harry. He quickly lowers it so it's light doesn't blind my sight.

"Are you okay?" He gently asks, putting a hand on my shoulder. "You know.. I don't know if it helps, but I was kinda scared too.." He admits shyly. I have a hard time suppressing a smile that's eager to crawl it's way onto my face. "I'm okay now, thanks" I answer his question, thankful that he cares.

"You know.. I think I should switch with Liam, Niall and Luke aren't much fun. They're actually really annoying, they won't shut the hell up" He states, gesturing if it's okay with me. "Sure.." I don't decline. For the time that I've known Niall, I'd really see him do an all-nighter, and then complain about being tired the next day.