After the Race

I'm talking with Christian when Max finally returns. He comes over silently and hugs me gently from the side. Suddenly, he's very clingy and I'm not sure why. Christian and I were already talking about the new season, the schedule, and what the plan is. I'm kind of blown away by how he's already getting ready. He just said something about Mercedes when Max walked in.

"Do you think Mercedes is going to be competitive next season?" I ask, slowly trying to pry Max off of me.

"It's too early to tell right now, as we get closer and new cars are unveiled then we'll see," Christian replies. Max clings closer to me when I try to pry him away.

"Max, is everything alright?" I laugh and Max finally extracts himself from me.

"I just missed you," Max says sweetly and I raise my eyebrow at him.

"You want something," I say pointedly and Max smiles nervously.

"N-No? Can't I just hug my best friend in the whole world?" Max is sweating now, at least slightly.

"You can, but not like a boa constrictor!" I tease and Christian rolls his eyes.

"Vickie?" One of the Red Bull techs calls as he leans into the Paddock, "Someone is looking for you."

"Oh, thank you," I call back, and the tech nods.

Max turns back to me, "Lewis?"

"I don't know, maybe," I reply and shrug.

"Since when did Hamilton want to talk with you?" Christian asks and I roll my eyes.

"Wow, guys, it's not that big of a deal," I say exasperatedly, "Lewis pulled me aside before the cooldown room to ask if he could talk to me."

"Well you shouldn't go," Max says quickly, grabbing my hand gently but possessively.

"Max, I'm perfectly able to take care of myself," I say shortly and pull my hand from Max's grip.

"But I-" Max starts to say, but Christian puts a hand on his shoulder.

"Go Vickie," my uncle says with no conviction (which doesn't make me feel better), "We'll be waiting."

I huff and walk out of the Paddock. Lewis is waiting around nervously, looking around for what I can only assume is me. When the door opens his head whips around. Lewis offers a small smile when he sees me, and I share one back.

"You wanted to talk?" I say as I move to stand in front of him, crossing my arms over my chest, "Go, talk."

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry Vickie," Lewis says quietly. He uses my nickname, which is new, but I assume that he's just trying to get into my good graces.

I'm a bit stunned by his apology, but I recover fairly quickly. "Sorry? Sorry for what?"

"For how I treated you, yelling at you like that after I won," Lewis sighs and takes a deep breath, "It wasn't right."

"Yeah, it wasn't," I reply and look at my feet, "I was really upset afterward."

"I-I figured..." Lewis trails off and we stand in silence for a while.

"So then is that all?" I ask, looking back up at Lewis's face.

"Can I make it up to you? Somehow?" Lewis says finally as I'm about to turn and walk away.

"Like what?" I reply. I feel really rude and insensitive, but Max was getting on my nerves and I really don't want to be here longer than I have to. The excitement from the race has calmed down the drivers, but I can still hear people celebrating as we're standing outside.