The Days Before The Race

Wednesday and Thursday passed quickly and without dramatics. We saw Lewis only one other time grabbing breakfast, but other than that we never ran into him. Wednesday was the day that we had to ourselves, for the most part. Checo did a bit more testing with the car, making sure everything was in order for the race weekend.

However, Thursday was a bigger day. I was able to tag along to the track to hang with Max and Checo as they spent some time with the team, checking that the cars were okay and working out a strategy for the weekend. Then we had lunch and Christian came and asked me how I was doing. Obviously, I said I was fine, but Max gave me a look that said 'I know you're not.' After lunch was a press conference with a few of the drivers. I prayed one wasn't Lewis, but I wasn't so lucky.

The press conference was fairly chill, and I sat in the audience. Towards the end, however, one reporter asked Lewis about me and Max. All hell broke loose. The other drivers looked incredibly uncomfortable, Max the worst of it all. Then one of the directors called the press conference and everyone was escorted out. I slipped into the back to try and find Max. As I'm opening the door, somebody runs into me. When we separate I'm relieved to see it's Max.

"Hey Horner," Max says with a smile, and we walk out of the press conference room.

"So what's the plan now?" I ask and Max just laughs.

"Now I have to sign autographs as we walk back to the hotel," Max replies and I groan slightly. The press conference room was by the track, which is not far from the hotel. Max holds his hand out, and I take it. People will take pictures but it's to stay together.

We walk out of the doors and people cheer. Max then goes across and signs autographs for the many autograph hunters chasing him around. I hear plenty of snaps and clicks, but there are more than just Max and I out here signing things. I know there are going to be more articles all over. We finally make it back to the hotel and I drop Max's hand and laugh.

"That wasn't terrible," I say with a smile.

"You don't have to do it every week though," Max reminds me and starts leading the way to the room via lift.

Unfortunately for us, Lewis is waiting by the row of lifts. When he sees us, he opens his mouth to try to say something, but just closes it. One of the doors opens and he steps inside quickly. Max and I just wait until he's gone to call another elevator.

"Damn," I say finally after we stand in silence for a few minutes after Lewis goes up.

"Yeah," Max replies and we laugh. Max presses the button and one of the doors opens immediately. We step in and I lean back onto the wall of the lift.

"I need to change and then I have a press dinner until at least 10pm," Max says sadly and I sigh.

"Oh, damn, okay," I reply quietly and the lift arrives at our floor. I'm the first out, but as soon as I get my head on straight I realize there's no reason why I should be upset with him.

I stop and Max stops at my side, raising an eyebrow at me. I shake my head and gently grab his hand with my own. Both of Max's eyebrows go up now, and I pretty much just drag Max back to our hotel room. I'm not sure what Max is expecting I'll do, but I don't have anything planned. Max unlocks the hotel room, and I drop his hand. Max looks shocked, but I just smile.

"What are you doing, Vickie?" Max asks and I shake my head.

"I just need some time, before you go off again and I'm left here," I say a bit sadly. Max comes over and hugs me in the small hallway of the hotel room. It's still dark, and I don't even think about turning on the light.

I want Max to kiss me again, but I don't want to ask. I settle for holding him as tight as I can. He slowly releases me, whispering, "I need to change and go."