Basics of Laboratory Animals

There are many animals that are used in the biomedical fields for research and development along with studying disease. With these many amazing contributions have came to the medical view, not only for humankind, but for other animals as well.
Biomedical Research is done in laboratories all over the world, many are in universities and colleges. This book specializes in regulation and care of animal testing in the united states. The united states has many regulations set in place to protect the animals used for research from injury and inhumane research.
Some of the animals used are dogs, pigs, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, rats, and humanoid species such as monkeys and apes. There are of course other animals but these are the main ones. These animals have different rules set for their species and regulations for the treatment of illness and housing units. All of the animals have their own sections in the Animal Welfare Act and regulations.
Biomedical animal research has many uses that you see in everyday life, medications you take, vaccines and preventative care, some surgery techniques, epidemiology, and many other medical treatments and practices are a result of biomedical animal research.
For the use of laboratory animals there is a strict set of rules that have to be followed. The USDA has described the three R's Alternatives. These are reduction, refinement, and replacement.