ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ - ғᴏᴜʀ

The woman nodded her head as she placed both of her hands on Alaina's face.

"You're the one."

Alaina shook her hearing at those words. "No, I can't." She stood up pacing from side to side, denying that she just read.

"Why me?"

The woman placed her hand on Alaina's thigh. "Somethings in life you just can't help but accept it, either even when you don't want to. You can grasp it by the horn and take it on or allow it to eat you up inside."

She grabbed Alaina's hands and placed them on Alaina's chest. "But if I was you I would accept it because right now WAR is coming and no one is safe."

Alaina looked up at the woman with her blended eyes. It was true war was coming even if they like it or not.

Her father was making sure of it and now she needed to figure out a way to stop him. Even if it meant her death.

"What do I need to do?"

The old man who was still standing in front of them pointed back down to the book. "READ ON."

Alaina read more of the passage and it explained that she needed to have the remaining clans willingly give her their blood. "How am I supposed to do that?"

"You will figure that out when the time comes," the old man answered.

Alaina got up from the couch to take her exit but before she did she turned back to the elderly couple. "Thank you both but please also be careful as well."

The elderly people nodded back down to Alaina.

"Princess, we've seen enough in our lifetime to know that when the time came for us to leave this world, we will leave together. You, on the other hand, there's so much for you to see. Take care of yourself."

She turned back around leaving the house and possibly never seeing the couple ever again.

The elderly man grabbed the book that was on the table and placed it back in the hidden compartment, while his wife took the tray back to the kitchen to be cleaned.

At that moment, two shadows slipped into their house without the two people noticing or so the assailants believed.

One of the assailants quietly walked until they were behind the old woman. He/she drew out their knife as they were about to stab the woman in the back.

At that moment, the old man came up behind the assailant hitting them in the back of the head with a marble statue.

The person staggered forward before turning to face the man. "I may be old but I'm not going down without a fight!"

He positions himself to defend against the assailant as the person came rushing toward the old man.

They both wrestle all over the place destroying the living room area.

Finally, after a long flight, the old man had his arm wrapped around the neck of the assailant. He chuckled as he continued to tighten his arm against the assailant's neck.

"I told you I still had it."

As the assassin slowly slipped in and out of unconsciousness another assailant came into the room with his wife.

One of the assailants had their dagger piercing the side of his wife's neck, ready to slit her throat.

"I guess the shoe is on the other hand."