Chapter Ten: Becoming His Student

*Take note that the following chapters may contain flashback scenes here and there. Just for you guys not to be confused, all flashback scenes will be written in italics and normal scenes will be written in the standard font. Along with that, certain characters' thoughts will also be written in italics. Thank you :)

.

The sun was about to set and Parashuram along with Karn, Dharini and Vrushali sat down for dinner. Tomorrow Karn has to show his weaponry skills to Parashuram and Parashuram went through the details of how his small contest is going to be.

"Look here, Karn. I will only be giving you one chance to prove yourself in your skills and I am never the person to give second chances. If you fail, you have to leave immediately with no heart feeling and if you pass, I will further educate you," Parashuram said to Karn who was listening to him attentively.

"I can assure you of that, Bhagwan. And I promise you that, if I don't clear the test conducted by you, I will give up my dream of learning weapons and will never touch them again," Karn said with a smile and Parashuram was stunned. He never expected Karn to respond to him this way. He thought Karn will be upset or demotivated but here he was smiling while responding. A little further away from them, in the hut of Parashuram's, Vrushali was standing there hearing both her father's and Karn's conversation. 

She didn't know why but the moment her father said the two scenarios that can occur the following day, she felt down. She didn't know why but she wanted Karn to pass the test somehow. Deep down, she feels like she knew that that young man was meant to wield weapons and if he does, she will the happiest person in the entire universe. She sighed and went to help her mother to bring out the meal.

...

Somewhere far away, a young boy who was around Karn's age was sitting on a tree branch and playing his flute

"Well, not only you will be happy Sakhi but so will the entire universe. You are right, Karn was born to wield weapons and he will but with you by his side, he will be able to conquer the entire Aryavart," he said as he aimed the stone to hit the pots that were settled on some maidens' heads.

...

The following day, Karn woke up and did his morning prayers to Lord Surya and proceeded with his bow and stood in front of Parashuram who was cleaning his axe. 

"Pranipat, Bhagwan!" Karn said, with his hand placed together. Parashuram greeted him back with a nod and reminded Karn of the rules of the test. He was about to begin when he realised that his daughter was nowhere to be found.

"Dharani, where is my daughter? Did she miss her morning prayers?" Parashuram asked as he was confused about why his daughter wasn't there.

"She finished her prayers way earlier today and she went somewhere to collect some flowers from our garden. I suppose she went to hang around with her friends," Dharini said as she drew a beautiful rangoli on the ground, at the entrance of the hut. Parashuram nodded but still was a little confused about where his daughter might be headed at such a time. He shook off all the thoughts, knowing that she will be safe anywhere she goes and proceeded to begin the test for Karn.

Parashuram started off by testing Karn's body strength by making him do push-ups and also made him run in the water to see his speed. He also tested Karn on his archery aims which Karn failed a few times during the beginning stage. And also tested to see his lower body strength and how much strain, stress and pressure he can handle. Karn was exhausted but he never showed it and tried harder and harder again to complete all the challenges thrown by Parashuram. Parashuram was really impressed by Karn's determination and knew that he was clearly worthy of the knowledge of weaponry. 

"Stop Karn!" Parashuram said and Karn stopped doing his push-ups and looks at Parashuram who was looking at him with a small smile.

"You have passed the test, Karn. Your determination to do better and better is one of your best qualities of yours and you should never give that up. There will be many hurdles in your life but you should never give up on your dreams and should move forward to achieve them by overcoming all the obstacles. Hence, I Parashuram son of Jamadagni hereby accept you as my student. I promise Mahadev that I will provide you with all the knowledge needed during your weaponry training and also guide you to always be on the right path," Parashuram said and blessed Karn who had tears in his eyes. Karn immediately fell on Parashuram's feet and got his blessings and placed his hands together as he stood up.

"I don't know what to say, Bhagwan. I am just a mere sutputra who came here after getting rejected by several sages. Even your students didn't accept me due to my cast but you are willing to teach me despite it and I don't know how will I ever be able to repay you," he said and Parashuram smiled.

"There are no vedas that say, only Kshatriyas can learn weaponry. This discrimination was created by people who have too much pride and ego. And I am ashamed to know that, that very discrimination was done by my very own students," Parashuram said, expressing his disappointment in Drona and Bhishma.

"But how is it wrong to have pride and ego, Bhagwan?" Karn asked.

"It is okay to have pride and ego, Karn. But that, shouldn't prevent you from doing the right things. It is completely fine to have pride in your knowledge but that doesn't give you the right to boast about yourself and discriminate against others. One should remember that the knowledge was passed down to them, it was not like they created it," Parashuram said and Karn nodded understandingly.

"And call me, Gurudev from now on," Parashuram said and walked to the hut and Karn remained standing there with a bright smile on his face. He looked up at the sun and smiled.

"If you have done, admiring the sun, please turn around," Karn heard a voice from his back and turned only to come face to face with the daughter of Parashuram.

"Pranipat, Devi," Karn greeted and Vrushali greeted back with a smile.

"Seems like you have gotten what you wanted. I am really happy for you Karn," she said and Karn thanked her.

"Please accept this offering. It is from Mahadev's temple. I did a small prayer for you, hoping that you will be able to clear the test thrown by my father," she said and gave him the offerings.

"You didn't have to do that, Devi but nevertheless, thank you so much," he said and Vrushali smiled.

"Well, you have achieved and now it's my turn to fulfil my promise," she said and Karn looked at her confused.

"What promise, Devi?" Karn asked in confusion. When did she even promise him anything...

"Well, I did tell you that I will tell you my name once you have achieved what you came here for and you did it and I am not a person who goes back on my words," she said and walked past Karn and stopped at a little distance.

"Vrushali... My name is Vrushali," she said and walked away with a smile not turning back to Karn who was grinning while rubbing his head.

"Vrushali..." Karn whispered her name out and smile knowing that he has gone slightly mad.

**********

That will be the end of chapter ten. What do you guys think about the chapter? Please do vote as well to show me your love and support for this story :)

Please do vote as well to show me your love and support for this story :)

Follow me on wattpad to get notified of the announcements.

Please do share your thoughts and opinion on this chapter, in the comment section below. Along with that, if you guys have any ideas or scenarios that you all want to see, also share them with me :)

Once again... thank you all for supporting me and will see you guys again very soon :)