Chapter 05

┈     ┈     ┈     ⋞ 〈 🏠 〉 ⋟     ┈     ┈     ┈

Lonely St., Seoul, South Korea
8:45pm

She would not have wanted that.

An occurrence along the lines of Chan's obtrusive thoughts would never earn a fraction desire for her family.

And Chan knew that. Always directed his choices in obedience to the command and promise to always stick by his daughter's side no matter what decrepit path the partisan journey of life planted them on.

Because, "Fix that path into a smooth road with the little that you have, with whatever you can get your hands on," his wife would say in her refined voice, as motherly and solacing as could be.

But alas, considering the amount of time that had passed by, and with the lack of a cellphone to roll the numerous videos that they had recorded together, Chan could not, as before, piece together a factual representation of his wife's vocals in his ears.

The CD player in his head, figuratively representing his dulling memory, was flawed, somehow. Perhaps the disk was scratched, or some other error in the system. Because Mrs. Bang's voice either rung in too much of a faint echo for his liking, or a tone not as familiar as what he wished to remember.

Chan sniffled as he sat, glancing back at Bella, cuddled up with her single plushie, and babbling some incoherent speeches in its face, moving its head every now and then as if it were talking back.

They had just returned from the library, completing a session of the lessons that Chan added so much effort into maintaining.

Because it was bad enough that he, a father, stalwart and sane; a grown man, could not afford his child's education for the time being. Always felt so little for that inglorious admission. Always nursed a heavy heart, glossed eyes, and a clouded mind, as the reality of that unfortunate aspect, matched with countless others, never failed to irk his conscience.

For the past two weeks or so, since Hwang Hyunjin had disappeared, leaving Chan implicitly concerned about his whereabouts despite their dispute, the option of drugs and other chilling illegal activity seemed to grow in weight on the scale in Chan's head. Struggling tirelessly to achieve a heavy enough weight to lift his morals and dignity and values and dear desire to keep being a role model for his daughter, up from its lower and more dominant post.

And Chan hated that, with all his heart.

Disrelished the admission that he was beginning to consider the use of crystals and sorcery to magically fix the unkept path that they were walking, knowing that his wife would aim toward hard work and perseverance if she were six feet and over a year above ground. He detested his supposedly mutating mindset, almost giving up in the futile attempts at subjecting it to the will of his principles, and the stagnant one that was still connected to it.